Now, Here's a Book That Should Be Republished

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
It's Daily Commentary: A Practical Exposition of Select Portions of Scripture for Every Morning and Evening Throughout the Year, Being a Companion to Family Worship by One Hundred and Eighty Clergymen of Scotland (New York: Robert Carter & Brothers, 1853), 968 pages.

The title pretty much tells it all. The book is divided up into 52 weeks, and each week has a devotion (usually on the fairly lengthy side) for each morning and evening in the week. Of the 180 Scottish clergymen represented, most of the famous ones are here: William Arnot, James Bannerman, James Begg, Thomas Chalmers, William Cunningham, Patrick Fairbairn, Thomas Guthrie, Robert Murray M'Cheyne, James McCosh, Alexander Munro, Alexander Whyte, etc., etc.

Each entry looks to be about 2-4 longish paragraphs. This is a no-kidding daily devotional with entries full of meat from the Word.

When the Scots do a daily devotional book, they do it right!

Somebody get this tome back in print!

The guy at Solid Ground Books asked me if I have a clean copy. I told him I'm reading a copy I borrowed from the library at Biola University - but that it's very clean. So, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back