On This Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hart

Puritan Board Senior
On 30 January, 1649, King Charles I was beheaded. The execution took place before a large crowd outside the Banqueting House in Whitehall.

It was a cold day, and (I've heard) Charles wore two shirts, lest his shivering be mistaken for fear.
 
Cromwell often sought to know God’s will by waiting for a “leading.” This is how he made many important decisions, including the one to execute the king.
 
Cromwell often sought to know God’s will by waiting for a “leading.” This is how he made many important decisions, including the one to execute the king.
He also refused the crown. I don’t know if I could have done the same.
 
Such a mixture of admirable conviction and ability, and mess. A truly amazing figure though I can’t in the end be an admirer.
 
Such a mixture of admirable conviction and ability, and mess. A truly amazing figure though I can’t in the end be an admirer.
I can admire Cromwell for his generalship and administrative ability, but that's about where it ends. I am a Presbyterian, after all.
 
We shall, with the same sincerity, reality, and constancy, in our several vocations, endeavour, with our estates and lives, mutually to preserve the rights and privileges of the Parliaments, and the liberties of the kingdoms; and to preserve and defend the king's majesty's person and authority, in the preservation and defence of the true religion and liberties of the kingdoms; that the world may bear witness with our consciences of our loyalty, and that we have no other thoughts or intentions to diminish his majesty's just power and greatness.

1643
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top