OPC Psalter App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
My pastor showed me the OPC psalter app on his phone, but I didn't have time to press him on it. Who here has used it and what do you think?

I really enjoy it and use both it and the 1650 Scottish psalter app for family worship. It has the recorded tunes for everything. The catch is it’s just a recording of one verse so they’ve provided a loop feature you can toggle that automatically adjusts to the number of verses. My favorite part about the app is you can either view the sheet music per your standard hymnal or you can opt to display the lyrics apart from the sheet music. The the standard navigation is split between Psalms and hymns but it also offers both a table of contents for the hymns based on doctrine and worship, an alphabetical listing, and a search feature. It was definitely worth the $10 I spent on it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sounds great! I wish they'd come up with something similar for the plain old Trinity Hymnal.

My guess is that the new OPC Psalter is to gradually replace the red Trinity hymnal. I'm not EP (I'm "dominant" psalmody, if anything) but the inclusion of the Psalter alongside regular hymns makes it superior by definition. That, and the Scripture base in the old Trinity is NIV.

My guess is that the new OPC Psalter is to gradually replace the red Trinity hymnal. I'm not EP (I'm "dominant" psalmody, if anything) but the inclusion of the Psalter alongside regular hymns makes it superior by definition. That, and the Scripture base in the old Trinity is NIV.
It’s not about superior/inferior… it’s about the fact that hundreds of churches have spent many thousands of dollars to purchase Trinity hymnals and thus it would be nice to have an app that would make it easier for what people use at church to likewise be used at home.

It’s not about superior/inferior… it’s about the fact that hundreds of churches have spent many thousands of dollars to purchase Trinity hymnals and thus it would be nice to have an app that would make it easier for what people use at church to likewise be used at home.

If someone wants to make an app for that, more power to them. My point was that the new Psalter/Hymnal is simply superior on every count and will inevitably replace the Trinity.

Disclaimer: my church uses the old Red hymnal. I would love the new one, but it will happen when it happens.

If the Red Trinity is the "old," what are we calling the blue that preceded it (and that is still in use in my home and church?).

We are calling it much better than the red one. I miss the blue one.
We use all three in our house, though the new has somehow been dubbed the "purple" hymnal. We like that it has provided harmonies to hymns given as unison in the red hymnal. I've been curious about the new app.

If the Red Trinity is the "old," what are we calling the blue that preceded it (and that is still in use in my home and church?).
We go by Red Trinity Hymnal, and Trinity Psalter Hymnal (TPH), but the old Blue was too far back for this youngish congregation. I loved the songs in the RTH though, some of which were mysteriously left out in the TPH. But sacrifices had to be made to put all 150 psalms in it, and I couldn't he happier that we are singing the psalms every Lord's Day!

The 1961 Trinity Hymnal (TH), the 1990 Trinity Hymnal, Revised (THR), and the 2018 Trinity Psalter Hymnal (TPH) are all abbreviated as noted. They are often fondly referred to by the original cover colors: the TH--blue; the THR--red; and the TPH--wine or burgundy. The THR is now available in several cover colors. The printer actually refers to the cover color of the first four printings of the TPH (the fifth is delayed due to multiple COVID factors impacting international publishing) as "mahogany."

We are delighted with the new TPH app and are pushing for the Android version as soon as we can get it. What we had to go through in getting the piano recording of all the tunes during COVID was little short of remarkable and the whole project has been impacted by delays due to that. We nonetheless continue to enjoy vigorous sales and much customer satisfaction with all the products (see https://www.trinitypsalterhymnal.org/). Thank you all for your kind words.

Peace,
Alan

We nonetheless continue to enjoy vigorous sales and much customer satisfaction with all the products (see https://www.trinitypsalterhymnal.org/).
I was thinking of getting a copy but it looks like a number of editions are out of print.

By the way Alan, one of your former students, Nathaniel Rademaker, is now my pastor (Reformed Church of Whanganui, New Zealand). He is a real blessing to the church. He also lives in my neighbourhood :)

I was thinking of getting a copy but it looks like a number of editions are out of print.

Greetings to Nathaniel and family! What a blessing!

The current fourth printing is sold out, as I noted, and we await the fifth, which has been COVID-delayed. There has been, however, only one edition of the TPH, since its first printing in 2018.

Peace,
Alan

Greetings to Nathaniel and family! What a blessing!
Nathaniel and family greatly appreciated the greetings. I had dinner with them last night with a blessed time of fellowship.
There has been, however, only one edition of the TPH, since its first printing in 2018.
When I used the word edition I was referring to the print editions on the Trinity Psalter website -
  • Pew Edition
  • Accompanist Edition
  • Leather Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back