Ordained Communion Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with who said coming to a table solves a lot of issues. I'm much more concerned about woman lecturing and reading scripture from the pulpit, which is also happening in the PCA. My church's presbytery has a church plant that is having their 'on staff theologian,' a woman, give the lectionary (another issue), during the worship service. The church apparently had mis-classed the audio recordings as sermons and got some letters to the session complaining. I know not the whys or wherefores, but the presbytery took up the issue and whatever committee was dealing with it voted unanamously, 'nothing to see here.' Somehow though some concern was expressed and they appointed a committee to study it. So we'll see. When asked (N.B. I'm going on just one hearsay report on this) of the pastor, what is the difference between a woman preaching and a woman giving the lectionary, his reply was, well, the session doesn't call it preaching. Maybe Edward has heard about this and knows more.

Someone is going to have to explain to me why "passing" is equated to "serving". When I cook, which is frequent, I sometimes announce to my family (usually with grandiose cheesiness), "Dinner is served!" By this I mean, I have prepared and presented food for you to eat. If my eldest son passes the rolls to my youngest son, he does not do so in the sense that he has prepared and presented the rolls for him. Equating these two terms just creates confusion.

The problem is Jesus himself appeared to serve and pass the bread. This duty in my opinion was passed on to those who are to be Ministers which also in my opinion does not included RE's.

26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.

22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.

19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Someone is going to have to explain to me why "passing" is equated to "serving".

You have made a good point. The language of the PCA BCO is more clear. The terminology used there is that the elements are distributed, not that they are served or passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back