Ordained positions within the church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
Where do we get the scriptural information to what positions are to be ordained within the church?

For starters, I Timothy 3; Bishops and Deacons. And of course we understand that the words bishop, elder, and pastor are used interchangeably in the New Testament to describe the same office.

I've often wondered about Evangelists (Eph. 4:11) as an office/position, if such would be appropriate in the post-apostolic church, and subsequently whether such an officer (or minister?) fulfilling that role as a primary ministry should be ordained to such a position. I hope all that makes sense and isn't too off topic.

Last edited:
I've often wondered about Evangelists (Eph. 4:11) as an office/position would be appropriate in the post-apostolic church, and subsequently whether such an officer (or minister?) fulfilling that role as a primary ministry should be ordained to such a position. I hope all that makes sense and isn't too off topic.

I know that it is in the RPCUS at least:

"The office of evangelist is ordinary and perpetual, Eph. 4:11, 2 Tim. 4:5. The evangelist is commissioned to preach the Word and administer the Sacraments in foreign countries, frontier settlements, or the destitute parts of the church; and to him may be entrusted the power to organize churches and ordain Ruling Elders and Deacons therein." The Constitution of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in the United States |

I know that it is in the RPCUS at least

A couple of sections from the PCA BCO on evangelists.
8-6.
When a teaching elder is appointed to the work of an evangelist, he is commissioned to preach the Word and administer the Sacraments in foreign countries or the destitute parts of the Church. The Presbytery may by separate acts from that by which it commissioned him, entrust to the evangelist for a period of twelve months the power to organize churches, and, until there is a Session in the church so organized, to instruct, examine, ordain, and install ruling elders and deacons therein, and to receive or dismiss members.

21-11.
In the ordination of interns as evangelists the same questions are to be propounded as in the ordination of pastors, with the exception of the eighth, for which the following shall be substituted: Do you now undertake the work of an evangelist, and do you promise, in reliance on God for strength, to be faithful in the discharge of all the duties incumbent on you as a minister of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ?

I know that it is in the RPCUS at least

A couple of sections from the PCA BCO on evangelists.
8-6.
When a teaching elder is appointed to the work of an evangelist, he is commissioned to preach the Word and administer the Sacraments in foreign countries or the destitute parts of the Church. The Presbytery may by separate acts from that by which it commissioned him, entrust to the evangelist for a period of twelve months the power to organize churches, and, until there is a Session in the church so organized, to instruct, examine, ordain, and install ruling elders and deacons therein, and to receive or dismiss members.

21-11.
In the ordination of interns as evangelists the same questions are to be propounded as in the ordination of pastors, with the exception of the eighth, for which the following shall be substituted: Do you now undertake the work of an evangelist, and do you promise, in reliance on God for strength, to be faithful in the discharge of all the duties incumbent on you as a minister of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Interesting is that my original question pertained to the the official position of evangelist. Why do we lump this position (not that we can't) with teacher and pastor? Seems like a lot of work for one man to me. Also why not allow an "evangelist" simply go out and preach The Gospel across the street or in the neighborhood where we all live and not restrict it to "foreign countries or the destitute parts of the Church"?

The reason I ask is because it appears to me Jesus and the Apostles went out of the walls of the church to spread His Word and did not wait for the elect to darken the doors of synagogue or church to hear His Gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back