Our Sufferings and our Souls Washen in Christ’s Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
Samuel Rutherford (Letters, p. 516):

[W]e wrong Christ who sigh, and fear, and doubt, and despond in [afflictions]. Our sufferings are washen in Christ’s blood, as well as our souls; for Christ’s merits brought a blessing to the crosses of the sons of God. And Jesus hath a back-bond of all our temptations, that the free-warders shall come out by law and justice, in respect of the infinite and great sum that the Redeemer paid. Our troubles owe us a free passage through them. Devils, and men, and crosses, are our debtors, death and all storms are our debtors, to blow our poor tossed bark over the water fraught-free, and to set the travellers on their own known ground. Therefore we shall die, and yet live. We are over the water some way already. We are married, and our tocher-good is paid. We are already more than conquerors.

If the devil and the world knew how the court with our Lord shall go, I am sure they would hire death to take us off their hand. Our sufferings are only the wreck and ruin of the black kingdom; and yet a little, and the Antichrist must play himself with bones and slain bodies of the Lamb’s followers; but withal we stand with the hundred forty and four thousand, who are with the Lamb, upon the top of Mount Zion. Antichrist and his followers are down in the valley ground: we have the advantage of the hill; our temptations are always beneath. Our waters are beneath our breath: “as dying, and behold we live.” I never heard before of a living death, or a quick death, but ours: our death is not like the common death. Christ’s skill, His handywork, and a new cast of Christ’s admirable art, may be seen in our quick death. I bless the Lord, that all our troubles come through Christ’s fingers, and that He casteth sugar among them, and casteth in some ounce-weights of heaven, and of the Spirit of glory that resteth on suffering believers, into our cup, in which there is no taste of hell.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back