OUR Top Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
I can't right now because I'm preparing for tomorrow, but how 'bout we make our own list? If we like, we can keep it similar to CT's...written in the last fifty years, but maybe just the top ten books.

Who will start?

Originally posted by Ivan
I can't right now because I'm preparing for tomorrow, but how 'bout we make our own list? If we like, we can keep it similar to CT's...written in the last fifty years, but maybe just the top ten books.

Who will start?

let's go back to the beginning of the 20th century.

Originally posted by Blueridge reformer
Originally posted by Ivan

Who will start?

let's go back to the beginning of the 20th century.

Let's! GO! :scholar:

[Still leaves Spurgeon out, brother. :spurgeon:]

If we are making nominations for the top ten, that's fine. The two mentioned thus far are excellent.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Right-Behind-Parody-Last-Goofiness/dp/1885767870]Right Behind: A Parody of Last-Days Goofiness[/ame] by Nathan Wilson and Dr Sock.

You have make some guidelines.

1) Only Reformed Books.

2) Written by people in the last 100 years.

3) Not reprints (like the WCF).

4) They are the most influential in shaping most people in Reformed circles.

5) Do these include academic books that have shaped pastor's minds, which then infect thier congregations? Or are we talking just laymen books? Or both?

6) ??

How Reformed are we talking? People who are soteriologically Calvinistic or who identify themselves with Reformed churches?

These do not mean we all agree with thier content - just those that have affected the Reformed Community.

Alive in the last 100 years.
Most affected the Reformed Community.

More academic Possible Top 10:

Berkoff - Systematic Theology
McGrath - Intellectural Origins of the European Reformation
Van Til - Defense of the Faith
Clark - Reason, Religion, Revelation
Bahnsen - Theology in Christian Ethics
Ridderbos - Coming of the Kingdom
Bruce - The Canon of Scripture
Battles - Interpreting John Calvin
Vos - Biblical Theology
Schaff - History of the Christian Church

Laymen Top 10:

Boettner - Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
Steele - Five Points of Calvinism
Sproul - Holiness of God
Sproul - Chosen by God
Packer - Knowing God
Bridges - Pursuit of Holiness
Lloyd Jones - Sermon on the Mount
Houghton - Sketches From Church History
Hendricksen - More Than Conquerers
Machen - Christianity and Liberalism

Others to contemplate:

Hendricksen's NT Commentaries
Gerstner's Rational Biblical Theology of JE
Shaff's Creeds of Christendom
Muller's Post Reformation Dogmatics

A.W. Pink's The sovereignty of God.
Phillip Mauro, The Hope of israel
Phillip Mauro, Daniels 70 weeks and the Mt. Olivet Discourse.
Gary Demar, Last day's madness
L.R. Shelton, The Israel of God
Ken Gentry, The beast of Revelation
R.C. Sproul, The last Days according to Jesus
Pink, The total depravity of man
Reggie Kimbrough, The Gospel according to Dispensationalism
Sproul, Chosen by God
Earle E. Cairns, Christianity through the centuries

These and so many more have blessed my life.

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
You have make some guidelines.

1) Only Reformed Books.

2) Written by people in the last 100 years.

3) Not reprints (like the WCF).

4) They are the most influential in shaping most people in Reformed circles.

5) Do these include academic books that have shaped pastor's minds, which then infect thier congregations? Or are we talking just laymen books? Or both?

6) ??

Reformed? Of course! I needed to clarify that. I suppose two lists, one academic and one from a layman's perspective, is good.

More later. It's going to be a busy day in the LORD for me!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Supergeddon-Really-Geddon-Upturned-Parody/dp/1591280133/sr=8-1/qid=1160324930/ref=sr_1_1/102-1254780-0257769?ie=UTF8&s=books]Supergeddon: A Really Big Geddon[/ame]

Supergeddong: A Really Big Geddon
by Nathan Wilson and Dr. Sock
--------------------------------------------------
I just got finished reading the wonderful satire of the Left Behind Series, Supergeddon: A Really Big Geddon. Rather than give a synopsis of a sampling of quotes (too many good ones), I will, at first, give a list of the characters of the novel--paralleling the Left Behind Characters--as depicted by the authors:

Buford, Tin. mid-forties; former flight attendant, three time winnder of the Pan Continental "Spirit Award"; became available after losing his wife in the Rapture..founding member fo the Tribulation Farce acting trouppe; international fugitvie; able to disguise himself convincingly as a Gypsy. Best power move to watch: Scissor Kick.

Cameroon "Buff" Williamson, early thirties; Ivy Leage graduate, youngest ever senior writere of any major weekly in the history of the world; slightly pudgy...webmaster of andrewsullivan.com and editor of In The Buff, the most popular ezine ever, ever.

Cleo Tin-Williamson, early twenties; former student, Mayville Community College; lost mother and brother in the rapture; wife of Buff.

Simon Ben-Tribeofjudah, world's greatest philosopher/theologian ever; makes the apostle Paul and St Augustine look stupid; dealing with an internet addiction; more hits per day on his site than people still living; current spiritual leader and e-pope of the world; would like to meet nice twenty-something Caucasian for movies and something more than friendship. Favorite pick-up line, "We don't have long to live."

Dr Heinz Rosenbeet, smartest Jew ever; occasionally goes by the name "Mikhail." unlocked the genetic secret behind mass zuchinni production; Nobel winner; murderer of the world's chosen leader, but it was pre-conversion so its all right. attracted to fuller figured women; no power moves.

Leah Rosa, greatest ER nurse in the state of Illinois since the state's induction into the Union; would like to meet and fall in love with world's greatest philosopher/theologian ever. Hobby: anonymous web chat.

Place additional throw-away Arabic character here

Max Maxmillian, late fifties; presumed dead in a fluke bowling accident; unknown purpose in story; friend of the author.

other characters later

--taken from pp. 9-12

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
Louis Berkhoff's Systematic Theology is my pick.

And Piper's Let the Nations be Glad (if yall count him as really reformed).

I've heard only good things about Piper's book Let the Nations be Glad.

J Gresham Machen's _Christianity & Liberalism_?

Which means it would have to be a 75 year time period (at least ;-))

Originally posted by Formerly At Enmity
An Eschatology of Victory.......KIK
:)

To the consternation of modern-day Vosian amillennarians, that is the book that revived postmillennialism in the 20th century.

White--The Potter's Freedom
Bahnsen - Always Ready
Schaff - History of the Christian Church **
Boettner - Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
Sproul - Holiness of God
Sproul - Chosen by God
Packer - Knowing God
Frame - Apologetics to the Glory of God
Shaff's Creeds of Christendom **
Piper - Desiring God
Gentry - Before Jerusalem Fell *** Addition due to Schaff
being null & void :scholar: