Overview on Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsanch1120

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello everyone,
I've been taking (and really enjoying) an intro to systematic theology course at WTS, the prolegomena specifically. It has, however, made me realize that I am woefully lacking in knowledge about philosophy in general. I know very little about classic Greek philosophy and even less about modern thought. Between the end of this term and the start of the spring term I'd like to catch myself up, as I think it could be useful for future systematic courses (and in general too).
Is there a good book or resource that functions as a broad overview of philosophy throughout history? Even a good textbook would be great.
 
My first recommendation would be R.C. Sproul's The Consequences of Ideas. If you have time and enjoy podcasts, the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps podcast would be good. And while I'm far from a John Frame fan, I've actually found his work A History of Western Philosophy and Theology a helpful book to reference.
 
If I may, I always suggest reading philosophy topically. More specifically, since you are wanting to better understand theological prolegomena, I would recommend picking up a copy of Diogenes Allen’s Philosophy for Understanding Theology, as well as the companion volume Primary Readings in Philosophy for Understanding Theology. These books were written and compiled with people like you in mind- those who are studying theology formally with not much background in philosophy.
 

 
I second Frame’s philosophy book. I think he excels at making the views of the major philosophers understandable and critiquing them from a Christian perspective.
 
You should also pick up a copy of Plato's Dialogues. Usually editions have the Republic along with a few others. Plato was the best writer in the history of philosophy, and that is largely why he is the most important philosopher of all time. He is, quite simply, fun to read. Few other philosophers can say that.

In terms of our own debates, whether one is pro "Great Tradition" or "biblicist," if you read Plato you will wonder where these guys are getting their ideas. Yes, Plato did believe in the realm of Forms, and yes the biblicists are wrong, but Plato himself doesn't appear to be as interested in their debates as they are in him.
 

Four Views on Christianity and Philosophy was published by Zonderzan in 2016.

It has a helpful exchange between Prof. K. Scott Oliphint of Westminster who takes the position that the Covenant: Christianity Trumps Philosophy and Dr. Timothy McGrew, an Anglican at Western Michigan University who approaches the question of how philosophy relates to Christianity by talking about Convergence: Philosophy Confirms Christianity
​


This is a book I wished I had when I started thinking about these issues.
 
Pretty good by a guy involved in 20 century philosophy. I think it goes to ordinary language analysis.
Also Bryan Magee has done a video series on philosophy and philosophers ancient up to contemporary philosophical thinking. I'll see if I can't find it on YouTube.
Steven Toulman has a great book on Wittgenstein called "Wittgenstein's Vienna" where he focuses on him but goes into great detail on at least Kant to Wittgenstein very good.
I second Gordon Clark's book and Fredrick Coppelstan's multi volume work, nothing better in my opinion. I'll get links to the YouTube page.



Here's the YouTube page. I hope it works. But he goes into a lot of history and such.
 
Hello everyone,
I've been taking (and really enjoying) an intro to systematic theology course at WTS, the prolegomena specifically. It has, however, made me realize that I am woefully lacking in knowledge about philosophy in general. I know very little about classic Greek philosophy and even less about modern thought. Between the end of this term and the start of the spring term I'd like to catch myself up, as I think it could be useful for future systematic courses (and in general too).
Is there a good book or resource that functions as a broad overview of philosophy throughout history? Even a good textbook would be great.
Keep in mind that the term "modern philosophy" is different in the literature from contemporary philosophy. Modern philosophy began roughly with Descartes and ended maybe at the turn of the 20th century, fact check me there please Jacob.
I think modern philosophy was called "The Epistemological turn" and contemporary philosophy was called "The Linguistic turn". There's some reasons for this and it all really boils down to how to solve philosophical problems.
With the modern turn you had, as Sproul lays out quite nicely, a crisis of authority. The church and the state were no longer the de facto places of authority. So thinkers like Descartes thought "I can't find authority out there, what if I'm the ultimate standard of authority"?
So that made individual truths foundational for thinking and proving all the truths we need, hence in a way you had a good path and method to solve philosophical problems. That didn't completely pan out so the linguistic turn was meant as a general method that assumed philosophical problems were just linguistic confusions. Straighten out the grammar so to speak and solve the problem.
 
Brother Jamey,

How did you get into philosophy so deeply? I've pieced together your story a bit over the years and find you to be an interesting brother. I admire you, friend!
 
Brother Jamey,

How did you get into philosophy so deeply? I've pieced together your story a bit over the years and find you to be an interesting brother. I admire you, friend!
I admire you as well my brother. But I try very hard not to be pretentious. I was actually a druggy back in highschool and not surprisingly I did horrible in school (or just enough to pass is better).
My drug dealer got me into Einstein and relativity theory, as well as quantum mechanics. I quickly, again no pretension on my part, began to out do him. So I had a math teacher in highschool who I would bother after class with math questions about that stuff.
He made a deal with me, that if did my homework and did good on the tests he would take as much time as I wanted to answer my questions. So I did, I would finish the quizzes and tests before anyone and stay after school to work through this stuff.
I was then with my ex-wife and we were going back to church, so I was pulled out of the drug life by God, and got married. I was obsessed with R. C. Sproul and anything he wrote on theology/philosophy/apologetics and his book that was mentioned introduced to me to those deeper questions that I knew were there but science didn't tackle them.
So I learned all three together and I'm still learning. In the Air force I was blessed with an amazing OPC church in Abeline TX and an amazing pastor who gave me carte blanche to his books.
In moving from Classical to Vantillian apologetics after I returned home it just stuck with me. I couldn't get enough of it. And I wanted first hand knowledge of the philosophers, I recommend this to anyone. Read about their philosophy but then read them.
When I moved home the whole Emergent Church/Post-conservative movement was going on and I remember thinking "you got to know this Postmodern stuff". After reading primary sources I came to the conclusion that not a lot of Evangelicals understood it. So I dived into that thinking that the world isn't going to take us seriously if we keep raising the same old Boogeyman from before (there's no such thing as truth, I mean who would honestly mean that). But now based on an autonomous basis, not a biblical one, that was in my opinion Evangelicals failure.
I'm not criticizing anyone just a general idea. Since then the bug is buried deep. I have been quite interested in the past 15 years of the passing of Postmodernism into, who knows what to call it. There's many different names but it's the same "God" anything other than biblical theology.
That I'm more interested in rather than why Evangelicals keep insisting that we live in a Postmodern world. That's how the Devil will get us by thinking we're fighting the last battle when we in a different age. It has passed and what did it give way to?
That's what the Apologists of today should be concerned with. We can and should debate apologetical method but have a united front to the unbelievers out there in defense of the faith. So now I'm still very much interested in philosophy but it tends to be directed more towards apologetics.
My list of favorite philosophers is St. Augustine, Cornelius Van Til, Herman Dooyeweerd (without his weird stuff), Robert Knudsen, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Blaise Pascal, William James, and others but that should suffice.
I hope that trip down memory lane was insightful at least to how much our great and merciful God guided me out of the horrors of that lifestyle and into a growing passion for the Kingdom and using the talents he gave and nurtured in me to the glory of that Kingdom. Praise be to God.
 
Socrates To Sartre by Samuel Enoch Stumpf is a good introduction to the history of philosophy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top