Owen: Known holiness is apt to degenerate into self-righteousness

Alfredsparks

Puritan Board Freshman
“We have so much of the Pharisee in us by nature, that it is sometimes well that our good is hid from us...
To be holy is necessary; to know it, sometimes a temptation.”

—John Owen, Works 6:600 and 601

Last edited:
It is to this end that many of the Puritans speak of "heart-work" or, at least to my understanding, taking that time to search the heart so that the sin within comes to the surface. There is a book by a relatively unknown Puritan era Non-Conformist by the name of John Woodhouse entitled "A Catalogue of Sins." I have always wanted to take this, and then do some research with Puritan Search, and create a kind of "convictive devotional" so that if used, no man will leave feeling holy. The book (Catalogue) was meant in its own description, for "self-acquaintance, experimental prayer, and preparation for the Lords Supper" Maybe one day I will be allowed to do it.

It is to this end that many of the Puritans speak of "heart-work" or, at least to my understanding, taking that time to search the heart so that the sin within comes to the surface. There is a book by a relatively unknown Puritan era Non-Conformist by the name of John Woodhouse entitled "A Catalogue of Sins." I have always wanted to take this, and then do some research with Puritan Search, and create a kind of "convictive devotional" so that if used, no man will leave feeling holy. The book (Catalogue) was meant in its own description, for "self-acquaintance, experimental prayer, and preparation for the Lords Supper" Maybe one day I will be allowed

Seems like what the WLC does to the reader in it's exposition of the Ten Commandments (91-155)- I never walk away from reading those questions and answers saying I "have no sin" (1 John1:8).

“We have so much of the Pharisee in us by nature that it is sometimes good that our good is hidden from usense?

There's something I haven't told many people, and I know it can be a little risky for me to say what little I will now.

About two years ago, I became obsessed with "fishing men." I've spoken to hundreds of people since then about the gospel. But before I entered into this really fun practice, I made a bit of a deal with God. And it is this:

Please lead me to people I don't know to share the gospel with, but if any of them become Christians, or are helped on in their Christianity in any way, I beg you to never let me know it in this life. The only exception I made in my prayer was that if I was terribly discouraged and needed encouragement, maybe I could find out about one person once that was helped. Other than that, I want to wait until glory to know.

Pride ravaged much of my life, and I can take no chances of firing it up again.

Make sense?”

“We have so much of the Pharisee in us by nature that it is sometimes good that our good is hidden from usense?

There's something I haven't told many people, and I know it can be a little risky for me to say what little I will now.

About two years ago, I became obsessed with "fishing men." I've spoken to hundreds of people since then about the gospel. But before I entered into this really fun practice, I made a bit of a deal with God. And it is this:

Please lead me to people I don't know to share the gospel with, but if any of them become Christians, or are helped on in their Christianity in any way, I beg you to never let me know it in this life. The only exception I made in my prayer was that if I was terribly discouraged and needed encouragement, maybe I could find out about one person once that was helped. Other than that, I want to wait until glory to know.

Pride ravaged much of my life, and I can take no chances of firing it up again.

Make sense?”
Makes a great deal of sense to me.

Back