PC(USA) recent issues and statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvinbeza

Puritan Board Freshman
If you think that nothing has changed in the Presbyterian Church (USA), when it began allowing for same sex weddings?

Charlotte Presbytery was ranked first, losing 17 congregations
Mid-South Presbytery was second with 16 congregations gone
Cascades and Central Washington tied for third place, each have 14 congregations depart
Beaver-Butler ranked fifth: 12 congregations gone
San Joaquin and Shenango tied for sixth both having 11 congregations leave
Tropical Florida was eighth: 10 congregations gone
Mississippi and Sacrament tied at ninth place both having nine congregations depart

Church Members PCUSA presbytery New affiliation Year
Highland Park, dallas Texas 4,900 Grace ECO 2015
First, Colorado Springs, Colo. 3,824 Pueblo ECO 2012
First, Orlando, Fla. 3,521 Central Florida EPC 2011
First, Greenville, S.C. 3,385 Foothills ECO 2012
Menlo Park, Menlo Park, Calif. 3,324 San Francisco ECO 2014
Kirk of the Hills, Tulsa, Okla. 2,665 Eastern Oklahoma EPC 2008
Grace, Houston, Texas 2,465 New Covenant ECO 2014
Eastminster, Wichita, Kan. 2,302 Southern Kansas EPC 2012
Fair Oaks, Fair Oaks, Calif. 2,295 Sacramento EPC 2010
Bay, Bay Village, Ohio 2,071 Western Reserve EPC 2008
Signal Mountain, Signal Mountain, Tenn. 2,013 East Tennessee EPC 2007
Sunset, Portland, Ore. 1,957 Cascades EPC 2008
Community, Danville, Calif. 1,862 San Francisco EPC 2012

NO CHANGES???

No one denies this trend. It is, for the most part, an apostate denomination that will whither into oblivion in the coming decades; a shell of its former self in terms of membership numbers. And since it is a denomination that is the way it is, I could careless.
I feel compelled to ask: why are you so hung up on membership numbers lately, especially in the PCUSA?

I just want to point that the acceptance of the homosexual pastors in PC(USA) churches destroys a whole denomination as happening in the Episcopal Church, Lutheran Church and going to be in the United methodists.

I feel compelled to ask: why are you so hung up on membership numbers lately, especially in the PCUSA?

I cannot answer for Gabor, but if The Lord has someone look into why the massive exodus is happening in the PCUSA they may decide to leave it if they are in it, or may decide to not join them if they are looking for a church.

Yes I know it was a conservative split in the early 1990s, wich joined the PCA as Park Cities Presbyterian Church.

And Others are following Highland Park, mega churches like Christ Pres in Edina, MN with 5-6000 members will also join ECO.

What I noticed from my time in the UMC before my reformed days is that many liberals welcome the conservatives leaving these mainline denominations. Its like someone who is digging there own grave. They are happy when the people who throw the dirt back in the hole finally leave.

The PCUSA numbers they released at their recent general assembly were still skewed. Carmen LaBarge at The Layman went through the numbers released by PCUSA and found the PCUSA was still numerically counting the membership numbers of many larger churches who had left for the EPC or ECO. She gave specific examples in an informal information session at the EPC GA I attended, and named the specific churches. If my memory serves, it was at least 150K members worth, based on her analysis.

Last edited:
It is very sad that 200, 300 year old churches that once were faithful to the Reformed faith become apostate. The largest Presbyterian denomination in the USA is dying.And it is still happening before our eyes.

The relatively small Reformed family of churches are shrinking drastically. EPC and ECO are growing but not through evangelism, but because the "conservative-I mean not very very liberal, just very liberal" PC(USA) churches joining them.

Sad that I must see this agony

No one denies this trend. It is, for the most part, an apostate denomination that will whither into oblivion in the coming decades; a shell of its former self in terms of membership numbers. And since it is a denomination that is the way it is, I could careless.

I'm glad he shared the numbers. I find it interesting to see how quickly things are changing in the PCUSA. I figured they'd lose members, but not this fast. Hopefully they'll come back around and follow the Word of God. Wishful thinking on my part, but I'm praying for them.

When I was a member of a mainline denomination, it was my experience that they had developed a rather self-validating "remnant" ethic insulating them against negative outcomes. If membership stats went negative, budget returns declined, or even if conservative congregations withdrew, it supported their narrative that they were willing to pay the price for faithfulness to the Gospel.

Since most mainline denoms have been around long enough to amass certain core assets and investments, they could probably continue functioning if their numbers dwindled to a single congregation of ten people.

Based on a recent Pew study, the mainline stands to lose more in the days to come.

Decline of Mainline Protestants
The statistics tell a much different story for Mainline Protestantism. There is decline in both the share who identify with a Mainline church and those who regularly attend, but the drop among identifiers is much more drastic.

Regular Mainline church attenders hovered around 8 percent of the population in the 1970s, but has fallen to between 3 and 4 percent in the last decade.

Meanwhile, those who identified as Mainline Protestants peaked at close to 30 percent four decades ago, only to bottom out at 12 percent in 2012. Only time will tell if that trend continues.

A 20 percentage point gap between those who identify as Mainline and those who attend has shrunk to less than 9 percent.
evanmainline-decline

In addition, Pew found those raised as Mainline Protestants were more likely than any other Christian group to become religiously unaffiliated. More than a quarter (26 percent) of those who grew up Mainline now identify as a “none.”http://factsandtrends.net/2015/05/1...decline-of-mainline-protestants/#.Va0WOPlViko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back