I agree with Phillip. It is a combination of how society looks at it and what we know to be right and wrong. Allow me to give some examples.
Back in the 60's I ran with a crowd in Scotland that thought nothing of using are most familiar and vulgar four-letter word. Nobody flinched or blushed when I used it. However, even as an unbeliever, I [b:307e9c6145][i:307e9c6145]knew[/b:307e9c6145][/i:307e9c6145] that my usage of it was contrary to decency and an offense to Almighty God.
Now, there are words and expressions which we use in the USA that are considered not only vulgar but extremely reprehensible in the UK -- and vice versa. If I were to use them here the post would be filled with "flowers." :biggrin:
I hear Christians say things -- from the pulpit, no less -- that make me cringe. Words like s--k (as in producing a vacuum), or calling one a b----r (which is a Sodomite).
If one reads the Geneva Bible or the KJV, they will come across the four letter word meaning "to urinate." At the time of original publication they were inoffensive. Today they are not used in polite company.
When society finds a word offensive, it creates a euphemism. Later, the euphemism becomes offensive, and other expression comes in to play.
I believe we need to be more careful of our speech and talk with an aim of reflecting Christ and glorifying God. That removes any argument. We ought especially to be careful with the euphemisms. We say shoot, darn, drat, gosh, etc. Why?