Piper's message to Obama on abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acts 24:25
And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

Go Pastor John.

As to the "tears of joy," prior to the election Piper made it quite clear that abortion was the #1 voting issue for him, implying that he would vote McCain. Likewise, as Pastor Fred stated, there was joy in the prospect of having our first black president, but that was not the #1 issue.

So, I suppose John could have had joy for one but deep sorrow for the other.

'I just wish that Piper would not lower himself to bring politics into the pulpit. God deserves better.'

That is a quote from a 'conservative Reformed' man when he was commenting on this clip.

Made me want to puke.

Having watched the video I ask: is it possible that this could be a misunderstanding? Piper directly addresses the president in the video. Perhaps the author of this quote meant that he didn't like that kind of (perceived) posturing, instead of speaking out against or attacking abortion from the pulpit.

P.S. I can't see the youtube video so I can't read the context of the statement.

In re-reading this thread I thought I had better clear something up in one of my posts about abortion being political. I strongly disagree that abortion is primarily a political issue. It is first and foremost a moral issue before Almighty God.

Actually every 'political' issue is a moral issue. Politics/Policy is merely the outworking of morals in the public/governmental sector. Christians would be wise to realise this and not allow the state to muzzle us by crying 'Politics!' at every turn where we would disagree based upon Scriptural grounds with the current emphasis. We would also be wise to use the term 'policy' in discussion. Politics can and usually should refer to the debate, cajoling, and dealing by the men involved in making policy.
I know you don't brother. I was talking about the person you were quoting.

I have to make a point here that angers me every time I hear someone say "We should rejoice that we now have a black president." Race has not played a part in voting in this country for years. We've had plenty of black senators, representatives and members of the president's cabinet for a long time.

Thousands of conservatives voted for a black candidate, Alan Keyes, years ago when he ran for president, but no one noticed that. When these same conservatives (who voted for Keyes years ago) chose to vote against Obama this election cycle because of his liberal policies, they were called racist. Did the African American community vote for Keyes because he was black then? Of course not.

Face it, one of the reasons why Obama got in office was because the media was screaming "racist" at everyone, and folks were scared to death not to vote for Obama lest they be considered racist.

Frankly, I don't care if the president's skin is purple, and I believe that a large majority of folks in this country have felt that way for a long time. God allowed Obama to rise to the top, and I honor God's sovereignty over the affairs of men. I honor the office of president, no matter what color the president's skin is, but I am sick of people handing a white flag to the folks in this country who care more about skin color than they do about personal integrity.

RANT OVER

-----Added 1/30/2009 at 02:03:19 EST-----

By the way, I, too, am thankful that Piper had the courage to speak out against abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back