Poole vs. Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I finally bit the bullet and purchased Matthew Poole's commentary. I'm thinking of reading through the Book of Psalms and comparing and contrasting what Poole and Matthew Henry have to say about each one. It'll be interesting to see where they agree and where they differ, if they do.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased Matthew Poole's commentary. I'm thinking of reading through the Book of Psalms and comparing and contrasting what Poole and Matthew Henry have to say about each one. It'll be interesting to see where they agree and where they differ, if they do.
Where did you end up getting Poole's commentary?

Where did you end up getting Poole's commentary?
At the bookstore at Westminster Seminary, California. $72.29 for the 3-volume set, about $24 per volume. The lowest price I found on Amazon was $89 for the set, so I've congratulated myself on getting a good deal.

Remember to consult this article on Matthew Poole's continuators just so you know when you are reading Poole and when you are reading someone else.
Good point and the same goes for Matthew Henry’s Commentary, which authors are listed in the preface for the incomplete sections. @kodos thankfully brought the below to my attention for my own studies.
The following are the ministers by whom the Exposition on the Epistolary writings, and the Revelation, was completed, as given by J. B. Williams, Esq., LL.D.,F.S.A., in his Memoirs of the Life, Character, and Writings, of the Rev. Matthew Henry, 8vo. p. 308.
Romans … Mr. [afterwards Dr.] John Evans.
1 Corinthians … Mr. Simon Browne.
2 Corinthians … Mr. Daniel Mayo.
Galatians … Mr. Joshua Bayes.
Ephesians … Mr. Samuel Rosewell.
Philippians and Colossians … Mr. [afterwards Dr.] William Harris.
1, 2 Thessalonians … Mr. Daniel Mayo.
1, 2 Timothy … Mr. Benjamin Andrews Atkinson.
Titus and Philemon … Mr. Jeremiah Smith.
Hebrews … Mr. William Tong.
James … Dr. S. Wright.
1 Peter … Mr. Zec. Merrill.
2 Peter … Mr. Joseph Hill.
1, 2, and 3 John … Mr. John Reynolds, of Shrewsbury.
Jude … Mr. John Billingsley.
Revelation … Mr. William Tong.

Matthew Henry, Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible: Complete and Unabridged in One Volume (Peabody: Hendrickson, 1994), xxi.

Poole does a lot more on technical issues, from what I remember of my father using both when I was growing up. I have both, but don't read as much as I once did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back