Prayer Books and Beads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very skeptical of beads, though I can see where they can be a help to memory. It's hard to not lose the trappings of something like a rosary and seems like yet another uncritical import from Roman Catholicism so many Anglicans since Newman are notorious for, and love to eagerly share with the rest of Protestantism like a communicable disease.

I do think that pre-written prayers get a bad rap in our circles due to issues of history (re: the 1662 Great Ejection and the attempts to impose it). However, one's extemporaneous prayers tend to sound very much the same and for the same topics, being de facto pre-written. However, the best is a deep, rich well of prayer. A prayer book can expand one's horizons, the scope, and the language of prayer, or it can be used as a 25-30 minute set of checking the boxes mindlessly.

For example, many of the historic Book of Common Prayer's collects are deeply but pithily Trinitarian. That's as much didactic as it is devotional. Matthew Henry's A Way to Pray, along with historic BCPs are also notable for having Scripture deeply woven into the prayers. In that respect, even if someone doesn't use them directly for prayers, they can be useful in an interpretative sense in the same way a sound metrical psalter is a distinct and complementary way to study the Psalms. I view it as a bit of a matrix.

Godly, reflective seriousnessRote, trite, and tired
Written Prayers
Extemporaneous Prayers
 
Last edited:
What do you guys think about having tools for aiding in prayer such as prewritten prayers (like the Book of Common Prayer or Valley of Vision) or prayer beads like the Lutheran Wreath of Christ or Anglican prayer beads?

If you are in favor of them, how do you keep them from being mindless?
If you are against them, how do you train to improve your prayers apart from just praying more?
I read a Valley of Vision prayer most days. I find that they help me think of things I often don’t pray for on my own. There are two things I do to try and make sure it doesn’t become meaningless or just an empty ceremony.


  1. I often expound upon what I find in the prayer. For example, if it says “I confess my sins,” I’ll take the opportunity to confess some specific sins. That keeps me engaged and makes it more personal.
  2. I’m careful not to let it dominate my prayer life. Generally, when I read my Bible in the morning, I avoid using a devotional book—not because I think I have more wisdom or exegetical skill than the authors of those books, but because I want to be alone with God. As much as I might love Kevin DeYoung’s Daily Doctrine or Spurgeon’s Morning and Evening, I don’t need it to mediate between me and God’s revelation.

Similarly, with prayer, I do not need the Puritans to mediate between me and God. The Spirit already intercedes on my behalf. I can have confidence that—even though my prayer might have some iffy grammar, and it’s certainly prayed by a sinner who’s failing to love the Lord with all his heart, soul, and strength—it is still pleasing to God.


So be careful not to let it dominate your prayer life, and be careful not to let it make you ashamed of your own prayers. I find a good way to avoid that is by being discerning in how much I use it, and by expounding on it as I pray.

I'm eager to hear what other people think! I've given this some though over the past year since Valley of Vision was just recently gifted to me.

God bless.
 
Prayer is a spiritual exercise. Why should anyone view it as necessary, helpful, or lawful to add popish externals like beads (let alone candles, icons, and making the sign of the cross)? I recently read about one man's apostasy to Rome, and one of the things which drew him into that system early on was his practice of praying the rosary -- this is sadly the case for many.
 
Prayer is a spiritual exercise. Why should anyone view it as necessary, helpful, or lawful to add popish externals like beads (let alone candles, icons, and making the sign of the cross)? I recently read about one man's apostasy to Rome, and one of the things which drew him into that system early on was his practice of praying the rosary -- this is sadly the case for many.
Does that mean you are opposed to beads because they are unbiblical or because it is dangerous?

Also, do you think prayer books are popish?
 
Prayer is a spiritual exercise. Why should anyone view it as necessary, helpful, or lawful to add popish externals like beads (let alone candles, icons, and making the sign of the cross)? I recently read about one man's apostasy to Rome, and one of the things which drew him into that system early on was his practice of praying the rosary -- this is sadly the case for many.
I think if one has a bad memory or legitimately wants to try to remember multiple things to pray for, even something as simple as a written list should do. Tape it on a bathroom mirror if needed. Or he or she should do something physical that's as little like the Roman practice as possible not out of superstitious avoidance but rather out of wisdom to avoid vain repetitions and Romish thinking.
 
My opinion is worth little, but:

Those things are unnecessary for a rich prayer life. If one needs help with prayer, just look to the Psalms (lots of prayers) or other passages like Ephesians 1:15-23
 
Does that mean you are opposed to beads because they are unbiblical or because it is dangerous?
Yes, they are both unbiblical and dangerous.
Also, do you think prayer books are popish?
To a large extent, yes, but I do think that written prayers are categorically distinct from beads. One can be privately edified by reading a prayer from the past (or even a piece of Christian poetry), but this should direct them to Scripture itself, and to private, personal prayer. For example, I think that the section on prayer in the Directory for the Publick Worship of God can help inform one how to pray, while not constricting one to an exact form of prayer.
 
Yes, they are both unbiblical and dangerous.

To a large extent, yes, but I do think that written prayers are categorically distinct from beads. One can be privately edified by reading a prayer from the past (or even a piece of Christian poetry), but this should direct them to Scripture itself, and to private, personal prayer. For example, I think that the section on prayer in the Directory for the Publick Worship of God can help inform one how to pray, while not constricting one to an exact form of prayer.
Interesting, so does your church not have any formal congregational prayer where everyone prays the same exact words on a bulletin or in a book?

Also, what makes prayer beads unbiblical (and I presume you mean "anti-biblical" as well) to you?
[automerge]1758149573[/automerge]
My opinion is worth little, but:

Those things are unnecessary for a rich prayer life. If one needs help with prayer, just look to the Psalms (lots of prayers) or other passages like Ephesians 1:15-23
If I may press a little more, those things may be unnecessary but are they permissible biblically and potentially beneficial?

Also, would reciting prayers in the Bible be unwise too because they are not extemporaneous prayers from the heart? I know people who get uncomfortable praying even prayers in the Bible because they don't come from the individual praying them
[automerge]1758149686[/automerge]
I think if one has a bad memory or legitimately wants to try to remember multiple things to pray for, even something as simple as a written list should do. Tape it on a bathroom mirror if needed. Or he or she should do something physical that's as little like the Roman practice as possible not out of superstitious avoidance but rather out of wisdom to avoid vain repetitions and Romish thinking.
What were the vain repetitions Jesus was concerned with? If I prayed in my mind over and over throughout the day "Your steadfast love endures forever. Your steadfast love endures forever", that wouldn't necessarily fall into that category of unacceptable prayer, right?
 
Last edited:
What were the vain repetitions Jesus was concerned with? If I prayed in my mind over and over throughout the day "Your steadfast love endures forever. Your steadfast love endures forever", that wouldn't necessarily fall into that category of unacceptable prayer, right?
My understanding of vain repetitions is that the basic approach was pagan, and sort of akin to trying to reach very distant gods.

An analogy would be whispering to a sleeping person, then regular voice speaking, then loudly but not impolitely speaking, shouting, then finally putting an air horn right in front of their ear to wake them up.

Or to use Hail Marys

Hail Mary
Hail Mary
Hail Mary
Hail Mary
Hail Mary

Hail Mary​

 
My understanding of vain repetitions is that the basic approach was pagan, and sort of akin to trying to reach very distant gods.

An analogy would be whispering to a sleeping person, then regular voice speaking, then loudly but not impolitely speaking, shouting, then finally putting an air horn right in front of their ear to wake them up.

Or to use Hail Marys

Hail Mary
Hail Mary
Hail Mary
Hail Mary
Hail Mary

Hail Mary​

So the use of prewritten prayers (or even the Jesus Prayer "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner" that Palamitic Orthodox people pray throughout the day) or prayer beads wouldn't fall into that category necessarily, right?

Also, when priests tell someone to "say 5 Hail Mary's" don't they mean the whole "Hail Mary, full of grace, Blessed are you and the fruit of your womb, Jesus... etc." prayer?
 
So the use of prewritten prayers (or even the Jesus Prayer "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner" that Palamitic Orthodox people pray throughout the day) or prayer beads wouldn't fall into that category necessarily, right?

Also, when priests tell someone to "say 5 Hail Mary's" don't they mean the whole "Hail Mary, full of grace, Blessed are you and the fruit of your womb, Jesus... etc." prayer?
I was intentionally abbreviating it for the purposes of the post. Supposing for the sake of argument that Mary is an intercessor, why would you need to ask her X number of times that your priest specified? Isn't once enough? That's a lot closer to banging on the door to get her to respond because she's busy or working through a heavenly phone tree that's endless layers deep and doesn't even have bad hold music.

I'm very open to written prayers in general, more so than many others in that I think extemporaneous prayer is often built/goes hand in hand with more structured prayer. But this is not something formulaic and instead depends very much on the individual believer. I believe even regular and heavy reliance on a prayer book verbatim can be done devoutly or as a box check. Much like memorizing Scripture etches into one's memory, so too can Scripturally based prayers regularly used etch into memory and come to mind in time of need and with spontaneity.

The real thing is not to treat prayer as a vending machine, which unthinking and untrained spontaneous prayer tends to be, but rosary-style repetitiveness certainly also can be "Whoops I missed a Lord's Prayer" or something like that.
 
So I've thought about how to express a reply to this. There's a few different issues: the issue of pre-written prayer, that of prayer books, a general issue of superstition, and the specific issue of beads/etc.

I'm not against pre-written prayers. Scripture has over 100 available (the Lord's Prayer and the Psalms). The catechisms all give instructions on how to use the Lord's Prayer (and by extension, any pre-written prayer) as a pattern for prayer. So as you gain familiarity with the written prayer, you understand it and can pray it genuinely by including mentally (or vocally, if alone) the particular items that fit in the general petition of the prayer.

The prayer of confession in the BCP is a good example of a pedagogical aid. It is general and comprehensive, so it works as a pattern. Once you learn it, you can augment it (vocally, or mentally if it is public prayer) with specific items to confess. Keep in mind that the purpose is pedagogical: to help you learn how to pray, not to dictate or constrain your prayer (it should be like scaffolding). In my experience (anecdotal: from observations and discussion), very few people I know that use prayer books use them this way. Instead, they either pick new pre-written prayers (never learning, thus never understanding), or rely on the pre-written words without augmenting them with substance (so they only have scaffolding). Also, because of the abundance of prayers in the prayer book, they tend to ignore what Scripture provides, and to ignore the catechism's instructions for prayer. So what Scripture provides (the Psalms) is displaced by a substitute (the prayer book) because it purports to perform the same function. While pre-written prayers can help provide structure and teach how to pray, I find that in experience (again, anecdotal) prayer books tend to be unhelpful.

This leads to the superstition point. I hear the excuse often (I have a friend really into "high church" stuff): "it isn't necessarily superstitious, it can be helpful for a legitimate end." And I grant: there is no logical necessity. Yet as fallen humans, we rarely exhibit perfectly logical behavior. Instead, reality overrules theory. And what we see from experience in reality is: the practice originated in superstition, it is used superstitiously by many, and it encourages superstition. Even those on their guard against superstition frequently fall into superstition. So any practice like that, which is not needed/commanded...I tend to doubt the "helpful" claim, and avoid.

Related: what I brought up before about the matter of displacement. Too often, the proposed "helpful" practice is unnecessary in that the purpose is either already accomplished, or able to be accomplished without the risk of superstition/ritual. My workplace proposes new policies all the time. I typically ask: "what problem is this trying to solve?" Then we have to check if it is already solved, or not a real problem. Frequently: the new policy is not necessary, because the problem has been solved (or is a made-up problem). Any "aid" to worship is intrinsically unnecessary if we affirm the RPW, that what God has provided for worship (in terms of activities/practices) is sufficient. So if the proposed help is adding an activity...then it is either a made-up problem, or it is for an end that God's worship already accounts for. That's poorly expressed, but the general idea is to ask the question of why we think it is needed/useful, and then see if that purpose is either 1) made-up, or 2) already taken care of. For example: remembering what to pray for - there is no requirement to close your eyes during prayer, and there is no requirement to pray without preparation. So it is perfectly fine to prepare a list, prepare the list with biblical help, and then to have the list on hand while you pray.

Beads: it originated in superstition, it is used superstitiously, and it encourages superstition. It is unnecessary, and the purpose (if it is for structure/memory) is easily taken care of without them, or any other practice that encourages superstition. The Roman usage is just for counting repetitions (which we are explicitly warned against in Scripture). Any Protestant versions of them are very recent and derived from questionable sources (the Lutheran one from a pagan source, the Anglican one explicitly from Roman Catholic and EO sources). The Anglican one actually says that you repeat the cycle three times "allowing the repetition to become a sort of lullaby of love and praise that enables your mind to rest." That is quite problematic. Again, not only is vain repetition warned against, but Paul very clearly says that we should pray with understanding, not so that the mind "rests." The spirituality behind the bead usage is not Christian.

If you pray with understanding, you should not repeat because repetition does not increase understanding (think about the joke of explaining the joke by repeating the joke; if you don't get it, you still won't get it). If it is a simple, occasional, prayer of "there's a danger here, please protect me," then such a prayer cannot require a structural/pedagogical aid of standardized words that are repeated in every instance. So there's no need to adopt dangerous practices that encourage and tempt superstition like beads, repeated regular/timed prayers, uniform wording, etc.
 
I've long immersed myself in the language of the collects of the Book of Common Prayer. I don't use them woodenly, but having them always in the background of my mind has been probably the biggest "devotional" thing I've done in the last fifteen years.
 
Corporate recitation has no warrant in scripture. One man ought to lead, and the rest join in saying the amen.
Would you consider this only for the spoken prayers, or also for the singing (or recitation) of psalms?

Historically, the singing of psalms has been considered part of the ministry of prayers (Dutch: dienst der gebeden). For this reason, singing is mentioned in Chapter XXIII of the Second Helvetic Confession, which deals with prayers.
 
Would you consider this only for the spoken prayers, or also for the singing (or recitation) of psalms?

Historically, the singing of psalms has been considered part of the ministry of prayers (Dutch: dienst der gebeden). For this reason, singing is mentioned in Chapter XXIII of the Second Helvetic Confession, which deals with prayers.
That is a good question! I think some sort of distinction between prayer and psalmody is still appropriate, which could include various things regarding the manner it is done, but I'll have to think about that one. Someone else probably has a better answer.
 
The prayer of confession in the BCP is a good example of a pedagogical aid. It is general and comprehensive, so it works as a pattern. Once you learn it, you can augment it (vocally, or mentally if it is public prayer) with specific items to confess. Keep in mind that the purpose is pedagogical: to help you learn how to pray, not to dictate or constrain your prayer (it should be like scaffolding). In my experience (anecdotal: from observations and discussion), very few people I know that use prayer books use them this way. Instead, they either pick new pre-written prayers (never learning, thus never understanding), or rely on the pre-written words without augmenting them with substance (so they only have scaffolding). Also, because of the abundance of prayers in the prayer book, they tend to ignore what Scripture provides, and to ignore the catechism's instructions for prayer. So what Scripture provides (the Psalms) is displaced by a substitute (the prayer book) because it purports to perform the same function. While pre-written prayers can help provide structure and teach how to pray, I find that in experience (again, anecdotal) prayer books tend to be unhelpful.
I like the way you put this here and agree.

So if the proposed help is adding an activity...then it is either a made-up problem, or it is for an end that God's worship already accounts for. That's poorly expressed, but the general idea is to ask the question of why we think it is needed/useful, and then see if that purpose is either 1) made-up, or 2) already taken care of. For example: remembering what to pray for - there is no requirement to close your eyes during prayer, and there is no requirement to pray without preparation. So it is perfectly fine to prepare a list, prepare the list with biblical help, and then to have the list on hand while you pray.

Also an excellent point!
 
Last edited:
The use of psalms and of well-written prayers like those found in Valley of Vision or the BCP can be a wonderful way to improve your devotional life. Especially if extemporaneous prayer becomes difficult for a season, pre-written prayers can provide a way to get started. They can also add depth and variety to your prayer life.

As with all elements of devotional life, we will want to watch out for idolatry. Even praying through the psalms, which clearly are an excellent choice for prayer, would become idolatry if we started treating them superstitiously, like imagining that we could finagle what we wish from God if we read through a certain number of psalms every day. But we can manufacture idols out of extemporaneous prayer, too, so that danger should not rule out pre-written prayers unless they are a particular temptation toward idolatry for someone.

As for beads, I would stay away from them due to their strong association with idolatry, while recognizing that some good, gospel-affirming protestants might use their prayer lists essentially the same way Catholics use their rosary. So, guard your heart in all things. Temptations always arise. Keep praying anyway. And if prayers written by others help you pray better, use them.
 
If you are in favor of them, how do you keep them from being mindless?
If you are against them, how do you train to improve your prayers apart from just praying more?

I was initially strongly against the use of prayer beads due partially from ignorance and partially due to the way Romanists use them and the fear that they could be wrongly used or thought of. I've since grown rather agnostic about the use of them. I personally don't employ the use of them as a physical aid, but don't necessarily believe the use of beads is a slippery slope into idolatry.

As for written prayers, I have used them devotionally in private, but one thing I really don't appreciate is a worship service where everything said or prayed over corporately is read off paper. While beautiful sounding it strikes me as overly scripted and mechanical. I would much rather corporate prayer be extemporaneous and heart felt even if broken up by an occasional pause or filler word.
 
As for beads, I would stay away from them due to their strong association with idolatry
Aren't crosses strongly associated with idolatry too? Why do you think beads are different? Or are you opposed to the symbol of the cross too?
The Roman usage is just for counting repetitions (which we are explicitly warned against in Scripture).
Are you referring to Matthew 6:7? What exactly is Jesus forbidding? It doesn't seem like he is against repetition inherently but only as a necessary means to be heard by God.
 
I agree with what Albert said. The reason there are so many beads in prayer chaplets is that Romanists and EO use them to keep track of how many repetitions they say of various set prayers, such as the Lord’s Prayer and the Hail Mary/Theotokos prayer. I think the practice of praying the same prayers repetitively in a single sitting is inherently superstitious, especially as it is used by Romanists in penance shrifts or ascetic disciplines. If a protestant were to use prayer beads as a memory aid, I doubt very many would be required to remember the parts of an ordinary prayer, and after praying the same prayer a number of times, the beads would likely become unnecessary for remembering the parts of the prayer.

Having a string of beads might seem cool, but unless you use them as part of a superstitious highly repetitive prayer practice, I don't think a Christian has any real use for them.
 
Aren't crosses strongly associated with idolatry too? Why do you think beads are different? Or are you opposed to the symbol of the cross too?

Are you referring to Matthew 6:7? What exactly is Jesus forbidding? It doesn't seem like he is against repetition inherently but only as a necessary means to be heard by God.
Crosses, not generally, but crucifixes definitely are. [Context, I take the confessional/absolutist position on the 2nd commandment prohibition on images in what I say below]

For Catholic/EO, they're outright idolatry.
For Lutherans, they're problematic because of the 2nd Commandment but they don't worship them - so they fall into the "wrong, but not wrong to the same degree" as images of Christ in books or stained glass generally do.
For modern Anglicans, it's going to be either category because most modern ones could either be Catholics-sans-the-Pope or generic liturgical Protestants.
For broad evangelicals, it's probably got a bit too much of the ick factor for them to have an interest in a crucifix. Historically, there'd have been a strong anti-Catholic bent to that critique, but not really anymore.
 
Last edited:
Crosses, not generally, but crucifixes definitely are. [Context, I take the confessional/absolutist position on the 2nd commandment prohibition on images in what I say below]

For Catholic/EO, they're outright idolatry.
For Lutherans, they're problematic because of the 2nd Commandment but they don't worship them - so they fall into the "wrong, but not wrong to the same degree" as images of Christ in books or stained glass generally do.
For modern Anglicans, it's going to be either category because most modern ones could either be Catholics-sans-the-Pope or generic liturgical Protestants.
For broad evangelicals, it's probably got a bit too much of the ick factor for them to have an interest in a crucifix. Historically, there'd have been a strong anti-Catholic bent to that critique, but not really anymore.
I'm tracking with you and I can agree but I still am curious about what you think Matthew 6:7 is about. What is Jesus forbidding there in regard to prayer?
 
Aren't crosses strongly associated with idolatry too? Why do you think beads are different? Or are you opposed to the symbol of the cross too?
To be consistent, I would argue that churches should not adorn their sanctuaries with crosses, nor would I encourage anyone to wear a cross necklace, get a cross tattoo, etc. The human heart is always grasping after external signs and tangible displays of piety. What we need most is the preaching of the cross, not the beholding of an image.

"He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brasen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan" ~ 2 Kings 18:4

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God" ~ 1 Corinthians 1:18
 
Are you referring to Matthew 6:7? What exactly is Jesus forbidding? It doesn't seem like he is against repetition inherently but only as a necessary means to be heard by God.
Vain repetition (which is what is being urged with beads). It is also counter to the idea of praying with the understanding in Paul. But I think that Jesus' prohibition is valid regardless of the reason for the vain repetition (there is more than one reason for vanity). But I'm not sure the reason in the passage is as narrow as "only as a necessary means to be heard." For one, the word "necessary" is foreign to the passage. Further, Jesus also condemns lengthy prayers for show (Mark 12:40, Luke 20:47).

Even if we investigate the motive more: why would you want to use repetition? If you think repetition improves the prayer, then you are repeating the Gentile motive: God will hear it (not more audibly, but more effectively). If it does not make the prayer more effective, then why do it? It seems pointless in that case. Is it for subjective feelings? That is not the point of prayer. Prayer is addressed to God. My general question is "what's the positive reason to do it?" and not: "is there any reason not to?" Answering the former question can reveal answers to the latter question that weren't immediately apparent.

I'll make a distinction between types of repetition: there is a simple (vain) repetition, purposeful repetition, and incidental repetition. This is probably a distinction that needs work (feel free to critique). Here's an incidental repetition: "I ask that you would protect me, and I ask also for your mercy." Some words, as individual words, are repeated, but they bear no relation to each other. Here's purposeful repetition: "forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." The concept and phrase is repeated, but used differently in each instance. The two instances also have a relation to each other, which contributes to both of their significance. On the other hand, vain repetition would be something like: "Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy." There's identity between the instances, they are not "related" to each other except in their identity, they aren't being used differently, they don't change or add meaning/significance, etc.

I'll put in this excerpt from Hendriksen's commentary on Matthew 6:
Another example is the prayer-wheel of the Tibetan Buddhists, a cylinder revolving on an axis, and inscribed with written prayers. Is not the rosary, used for example to keep count of five decades of Ave Marias, each preceded by a paternoster and concluded with a Glory Be, another illustration? As if the acceptability of our prayers depends, at least in part, upon the number of words we use or the number of prayers we rattle off!

Many of the most striking and fervent prayers recorded in Scripture are brief and pithy; such as that of: Moses (Exod. 32:31, 32), Solomon (for an understanding heart, 1 Kings 3:6–9), Elijah (1 Kings 18:36, 37), Hezekiah (2 Kings 19:14–19), Jabez (1 Chron. 4:10), Agur (Prov. 30:7–9), the publican (Luke 18:13), the dying thief (Luke 23:42), Stephen (Acts 7:60), and Paul (for the Ephesians, Eph. 3:14–19). To this class belong also the many sentence prayers or ejaculations of Nehemiah (Neh. 4:4, 5; 5:19; 6:9; 13:14, 29, 31). Christ’s highpriestly or intercessory prayer, too, can hardly be called lengthy (John 17), and the Lord’s Prayer, which he taught his disciples to pray, is certainly marked by brevity (Matt. 6:9–13; Luke 11:2–4).
 
I'm tracking with you and I can agree but I still am curious about what you think Matthew 6:7 is about. What is Jesus forbidding there in regard to prayer?
The same as what I mentioned before. Excess repetition is part of this.

Repetitions as a magic formula or payment: That'll be 2 Hail Marys and 5 Lord's Prayers to get X years off purgatory/pay for your confessed sin/whatever
Repetitions to get a distant/uncaring/sleeping/aloof god or saint to pay attention to your petition. Think routine customer service calls that take all day
Repetitions as box checking. "Yep I did the holy thing today"

Empty phases can also be translated as babbling so trying to pray for hours on end saying the same thing over and over, again, trying to wear God down.

An example of this is in I Kings 18:25-29

25 Now Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose one bull for yourselves and prepare it first, for you are many; and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under it.”

26 So they took the bull which was given them, and they prepared it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even till noon, saying, “O Baal, [f]hear us!” But there was no voice; no one answered. Then they [g]leaped about the altar which they had made.

27 And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, “Cry [h]aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they cried aloud, and cut themselves, as was their custom, with knives and lances, until the blood gushed out on them. 29 And when midday was past, they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice. But there was no voice; no one answered, no one paid attention.

---

It's also an implicit denial of Romans 8:26-27.

[automerge]1758235915[/automerge]
I'll make a distinction between types of repetition: there is a simple (vain) repetition, purposeful repetition, and incidental repetition. This is probably a distinction that needs work (feel free to critique). Here's an incidental repetition: "I ask that you would protect me, and I ask also for your mercy." Some words, as individual words, are repeated, but they bear no relation to each other. Here's purposeful repetition: "forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." The concept and phrase is repeated, but used differently in each instance. The two instances also have a relation to each other, which contributes to both of their significance. On the other hand, vain repetition would be something like: "Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy." There's identity between the instances, they are not "related" to each other except in their identity, they aren't being used differently, they don't change or add meaning/significance, etc.
That's a great breakdown of the types of repetition in prayer there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top