classicalkev
Puritan Board Freshman
In my ongoing wrestlings with the order of things transpiring around regeneration, I have been pondering some form of prevenient grace. I have posted something about this before, but it has resurfaced in my studies, and I can't ignore it. Nor can I accept it or teach it without much more study on my part, and getting some insight from the respectable saints on this board. Now I do not mean it in the Arminian sense of the term of course, but is there some preparatory operations of the Spirit within God's elect before their regeneration? There are several passages in scripture which seem to insinuate that this may be so. For instance, Jesus says that no one can come to him except drawn by the Father (John 6:44). Now, if coming to Jesus is equivalent to regeneration, does it not follow that 'being drawn' preceeds this?
Or take another statement of our Lord: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matt. 11:28).
Again, if coming to Christ is regeneration, then 'labouring' and being heavy laden must be before this. But I cannot see a sinner having this disposition without the Spirit dealing with him in some measure. Is being 'heavy laden' the preparatory work to regeneration carried out by the Holy Spirit?
Take one other example. "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price." (Is. 55:1). Compare Rev. 22:17: "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely"
Does a sinner thirst for the waters BEFORE he actually drinks from it? Or does he thirst only AFTER he drinks?
Perhaps I am over analyzing these texts, and others which portray some motion in the sinner (on the cover atleast) prior to salvation. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, and help if I am in error.
Thanks brethren.
Or take another statement of our Lord: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matt. 11:28).
Again, if coming to Christ is regeneration, then 'labouring' and being heavy laden must be before this. But I cannot see a sinner having this disposition without the Spirit dealing with him in some measure. Is being 'heavy laden' the preparatory work to regeneration carried out by the Holy Spirit?
Take one other example. "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price." (Is. 55:1). Compare Rev. 22:17: "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely"
Does a sinner thirst for the waters BEFORE he actually drinks from it? Or does he thirst only AFTER he drinks?
Perhaps I am over analyzing these texts, and others which portray some motion in the sinner (on the cover atleast) prior to salvation. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, and help if I am in error.
Thanks brethren.