Pricing on a used commentary set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

"William The Baptist"

Puritan Board Freshman
I was just wondering how much of a "steal" this would be:

At HPB today there were TWO different sets of 6 volume Matthew Henry Commentaries. One was green hardbacks with some obvious wear and tear - the pricing was around 10 each; the other was red hard backs, a little slimmer, I liked these better, for about 7 a piece, like new.

I take into account I don't have to pay s&h on these since I can swing by the store.
 
Do you mean that the green set was $60, and the red one $42? Or was the green $10 (total) and the red $7 (total)?
 
Around 60 for the green and around 42 for the red. (before tax)

Roughly. I can't quite remember it for the green, but each red one was $7.42. Each of the six (in both sets) were priced identically, despite wear and tear on a couple green ones.
 
The green set has the text of Scripture included in it - I don't know about the red set. That would be one thing to check in comparing their value.
 
If you have a Kindle you can get the Concise Matthew Henry Bible Commentary With Built In Bible from $.99 to $1.99. Or all six volumes for $2.99. Then you can take him anywhere.

I have the green set and do not care for it, the print is to small for me. But on my Kindle I can make the print huge. But I just don't use him even on the Kindle version.
 
Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible by Matthew Henry (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

Here's the whole set of 6 volumes for $4.75. Scroll to the one being sold by Reformed Episcopal Seminary from PA, and you'll find it. It has some highlighting and marking, but, if you're just looking for an affordable copy of it, this might be for you. Keep scrolling, and you might find a better deal. Steer clear of the ones that are trade paperbacks, and make sure the entire set is advertised and not just one book.

Blessings!
 
CBD will often put the set on sale. I purshed it new for $40 back in the day. You can also check the slightly damaged books at CBD.com as they almost always have a volume or two of this set available for very little.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top