Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

voided user1

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm convinced that our prison system is not an effective or biblical way to deal with the problem of crime. It accomplishes neither redemption through grace nor justice through punishment effectively.

In my opinion, either a return to publicly humiliating punishments of a relatively brief nature for minor offenses or a system of multiplied retribution in cases of quantifiable mishief (i.e., theft, vandalism, fraud) would be a good alternative. Too many times the government benefits from the guilty, while those actually robbed never receive retribution.

Although I am in favor of making fewer activities criminal, it seems that major crimes should be punished with capital punishment. Crimes such as rape and murder should be dealt with in a swift and sure sweep, with the undoubted execution of those convicted. Watch those crime statistics plummet if such changes were made!

:chained:

I agree with Wymer. The modern penal system in America does more harm than good. Murderers are released quickly, while drug criminals are given federally-mandated longer sentences. Those on death row can take 20-25 years to waste the taxpayers' money before their time runs out, if it ever does. Prison time breeds hate, not repentance. The same principle is involved in corporal punishment for children as opposed to "time out." Punishment that is appropriate to the crime and quickly meted out allows those involved to move on rather than permitting the consequences of crime to fester and do more damage. Our criminal justice system is a joke when murderers, child abusers and rapists walk the streets while innocent people who run afoul of gun control laws or the like are put in prison to serve serious time.

I do not believe that societies revenge on a person is a New Testament concept as "vengence alone is for the Lord" (cant remember verse or exact word order) and I do not like the idea of executions either, for while i recognise the wages of sin is death, we see Jesus with the adulteress possibly taking the death penalty out of the gospel. I am opposed to the taking of life although not opposed to harsh treatment.

[quote:dc861458f1]I am opposed to the taking of life [/quote:dc861458f1]

Fraser,

Don't forget Romans 13:4. Our rulers "beareth not the sword in vain" on those that do evil.

We should put all sexual predators/rapists to death...period.

All murderers should be put to death...period.

We seem to over punish on drug abuse....and under punish on devastating crimes.

[quote:c30f2d5787="Scot"][quote:c30f2d5787]I am opposed to the taking of life [/quote:c30f2d5787]

Fraser,

Don't forget Romans 13:4. Our rulers "beareth not the sword in vain" on those that do evil.[/quote:c30f2d5787]While you have almost swayed me and could easily take your side, after reading that I believe it is talking about non-Christian rulers who Christians must live under and that they have a sword to kill evil doers so we better not do anything wrong.

You'd be surprised, Blade...

We have the same Bible...I'm just more illuminated than you are! :lol: (I'm joking, of course)

[quote:10647fa424="Abd_Yesua_alMasih"]I do not believe that societies revenge on a person is a New Testament concept as "vengence alone is for the Lord" (cant remember verse or exact word order) and I do not like the idea of executions either, for while i recognise the wages of sin is death, we see Jesus with the adulteress possibly taking the death penalty out of the gospel. I am opposed to the taking of life although not opposed to harsh treatment.[/quote:10647fa424]

The context for vengence from God is for personal conflict or offense, not crime within a society.

Romans 13 on the other hand is clear that the government is ordained by God to punish evildoers when they break the law.

Phillip

ABD_:

I have to agree with Pastorway on this one.

Also, I'm of the opinion that the penal system needs serious reformation. There are so many absurdities and miscarriages of justice that could be cited.

Is anyone familiar with what Chuck Colson is attempting to do in the area of prison reform?

What gets me is that prisoners have more cable channels than the average Canadian let alone American.

Why give criminals the ability to lift weights???? Yeah, let's let them be able to kill two men with their bare hands at a time. I think they ought to give the men estrogen to soften them up a little.

Make them work under not so great conditions. They shouldn't enjoy it at all. Don't necessarily abuse them but every once in a while give the extreme criminals blades, not the one on this forum :think: :bs2: , and let them go at it a while.

Crimes against children should be dealt with swiftly and justly. By justly I mean, let's just(ly) go ahead and dispose of them. Share the Gospel with them first and then :tomb: . The Chinese have great ways to deal with criminals.

Sorry, after hearing the ISLAMIC terrorists in Russia killed many children really gets me :flaming: up.

The reality of how our penal system works detracts severely from the work that law enforcement does every day. It's like there are all these little boys (police) with their thumbs in the dike, while their older bigger brothers (judges/penal code) are taking to it with their pick-axes.

Also, I'm all for the idea of restitution when it comes to thieves and vandals. Yes, even (and especially) corporate thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back