Private revelation from God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee, I regret having injured your feelings in any way. I placed the moderator warning after addressing both you and Dennis, and in moderator tags, so it would be clear it was not part of my interaction with the substance of the thread, but a reminder to keep everyone within the boundaries.

That said, though, our confession does reject private revelations: if someone is going to use that language, it is their responsibility to prevent misunderstanding by making plain that they do not intend the term in the same way that the confession does.

As to the substance, Prufrock has already addressed it very well, but let me just highlight the point he made earlier: it is clear in the case of Paul (Ephesians 2:20) and John (1 John 1:3) that they conceive of their work, including their work of writing, as fundamental. Now it is in the nature of a foundation that it cannot perpetually be under construction - not if you're ever going to get to the superstructure, at any rate. So the apostles know that they are mortal; they know that their work is fundamental; they must also know that at some point their work will be finished and come to an end. And they are aware that no other foundation can be laid. Thus a denial that they were aware of being engaged in a fundamental work for the remainder of the church for all time would necessarily seem to arise more from a lack of attention to NT statements than from actual knowledge of the apostles' thought-processes. It is not necessary to consult 1 Corinthians 13 to see that they knew they were writing authoritative Scripture, and it is only necessary to attribute to them basic intelligence to see that from the facts incontrovertibly on display in their writings they had wherewithal to conclude that this process would not continue indefinitely.

Py3ak you said "Please respect the confessional boundaries...." as if they had been violated by me plus you felt the need to put it in bold red writing with moderator tags. I don't think I'm being unreasonable to interpret that as being an accusation. I don't appreciate being belittled by the use of Matthew Henry either.

Anyway it's clear that certain people just don't like others expressing a contrary view. I didn't belittle or put down anyone elses position, I simply wrote my own and people come on here saying my views are hogwash and acting as if I'm some sort of a heretic trying to deny the confession and damage orthodoxy. I think I'll make this my last post for another while.
 
OK brother Ruben forgive me of my words and attitude. I obviously got you wrong.
We have unity in the Lord regardless of these differences and none of us should let our differences get in the way of Christian fellowship.
I got a bit too offended and I apologise to all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top