Hearing From God

Status
Not open for further replies.
David,

Please allow me to reason with you for just a bit about there being no church in the Old Testament. Several months ago I brought Acts 7:38 up to you, and you never responded. You assert things that you need to prove to the frustration of many of our participants. I even wrote to you privately to discuss your tendency to state your views as fact even when your view is the subject under debate. Among many other things I said, "Just repeating your view doesn't lend itself to debate." You only answered that you were referencing the 1689 Confession.

So here's the verse again. Please tell us why there was no church in the wilderness.
Acts 7:38
This is he, that was in the church [ἐκκλησία] in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sinai, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:​

Here's another thought.
Paul is writing to the Ephesian Gentiles (vs. 11) welcoming them into full membership of "the covenants of promise" (vs. 12)
Notice also that Paul says that there is one "holy temple" made up of all believers, past and present, Jew and Gentile.

Ephesians 2:19-21
19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,
21 in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord.​

Another question.
Who do you think the 24 elders are in Revelation? There were 12 Apostles and 12 what? You can say it, David. It's not that hard. I think the 24 together picture to whole Church from the Adam to eternity. 12 Apostles plus the 12 Patriarchs. (See Revelation 4)
I do not know if that term used for the assembly in the OT was an exact fit for the term used fore the NT Church though, and I do see that something new and unique/special happened at the day of Pentacost.
 
I do not know if that term used for the assembly in the OT was an exact fit for the term used fore the NT Church though, and I do see that something new and unique/special happened at the day of Pentacost.
Except that it was, because Peter explicitly said so.
 
I do not know if that term used for the assembly in the OT was an exact fit for the term used fore the NT Church though, and I do see that something new and unique/special happened at the day of Pentacost.
David I would like to encourage you as a brother to walk back through Covenant Theology as if you had never heard of it before.

Others may recommend good resources.... but if you like podcast, I highly recommend the RTS Covenant Theology Course. The class room lectures have been recorded and can be accessed FOR FREE from the “ITunes U”
app. Ligon Duncan is the teacher. I found the course both informative And edifying. I have also known solid confessional baptist who have also benefited from the course.

I think there are roughly 26-29 audio recordings. I think it will greatly help you rethink some of your positions as it seems you still have many unanswered questions and incomplete thoughts regarding CoG and the Church. If you are willing to complete that resource then PM me if you have trouble downloading the app or locating the course within the app. The course can be found by simply searching “Covenabt Theology” within the app.
 
David I would like to encourage you as a brother to walk back through Covenant Theology as if you had never heard of it before.

Others may recommend good resources.... but if you like podcast, I highly recommend the RTS Covenant Theology Course. The class room lectures have been recorded and can be accessed FOR FREE from the “ITunes U”
app. Ligon Duncan is the teacher. I found the course both informative And edifying. I have also known solid confessional baptist who have also benefited from the course.

I think there are roughly 26-29 audio recordings. I think it will greatly help you rethink some of your positions as it seems you still have many unanswered questions and incomplete thoughts regarding CoG and the Church. If you are willing to complete that resource then PM me if you have trouble downloading the app or locating the course within the app. The course can be found by simply searching “Covenabt Theology” within the app.
http://www.1689federalism.com/faq/when-did-the-church-begin/
https://marprelate.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/the-covenants-part-1-the-covenant-
 
The past few days I have been greatly satisfied in the Scriptures. Praise God!

Dear Ryan,

I do rejoice to hear your brief testimony. I will try to remember to pray for you. I have always found that my efforts are rewarded beyond what I had hoped for.
Here are several of my favorite promises. I think of them often and remind myself that God can "do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think."
If Psalm 27 doesn't at first seem to be a promise, I think the implication is that you will find him. (See Deut. 4:29)

Psalms 27:8
When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

Deuteronomy 4:29
But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Hosea 6:3
Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

Proverbs 3:9-10
9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.

Psalms 37:4 (see the whole Psalm)
Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Psalm 27:13-14
13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.
​
And finally to remind you that it is hard work to know the Lord. But it is worth it big time.

Proverbs 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
​
 
David the opening sentence in the first article you linked me do disagrees with your original statement on when the Church started.

From 1689federalism link:
“The church began in Genesis 3:15 and the church began at Pentecost.”

Your original statement:

I think that the essential unity was from the very start of the NT Church, as they and us are all indeed one in Christ , as we are all baptized by the Holy Spirit into the One true Body of Christ.


Please slow down and reconsider your CT. I plead with you not for my sake but for your own. This is my last reply to David on this thread I promise.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What Grant was saying about the Holy Spirit is so true. Apart from His work we cannot delight in God and be satisfied. I cannot do it in my own efforts, but must plead with God to work that within me.
 
What Grant was saying about the Holy Spirit is so true. Apart from His work we cannot delight in God and be satisfied. I cannot do it in my own efforts, but must plead with God to work that within me.
Amen... we are like the dumb sheep that Need the HS to act as a Shepard to aid us in the most infant ways. Sheep can’t even roll over if they get stuck on their back.....

May the HS continue to press upon our hearts the weighty Words of our God And King.
 
David the opening sentence in the first article you linked me do disagrees with your original statement on when the Church started.

From 1689federalism link:
“The church began in Genesis 3:15 and the church began at Pentecost.”

Your original statement:




Please slow down and reconsider your CT. I plead with you not for my sake but for your own. This is my last reply to David on this thread I promise.
The point trying to explain by those links was that the Church had a special , or maybe the fullness of it, at day of Pentacost, as those links went over.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top