Question on The Great Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Has anyone used the Great Courses material? They have so much stuff, on such a variety of topics, that I have bought a few of them. However, I have avoided anything dealing with religion as I don't trust them to be to get Christian right (one of the lecturers is Bart Ehrman).

I am thinking of buying one on the Lives of Great Christians and another one Philosophy, religion and the meaning of life. Any thoughts?
 
I can tell you the lecture on China: From Yao to Mao, was really good. I forget the lectors name, but he was articulate, understandable, and encouraged my study. I'd say get what really interests you.

My interests are the orient and meso-america. For Christiany without Ehrman, try a tape of the Dutch, if there is such a thing.
 
The course "No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life" by Professor Solomon was interesting, but the Religion and the Meaning of Life course by Professor Ambrosio received poor reviews.

Usually the Great Courses do not represent a traditional Christian view. Unless you get the courses by Thomas F. Madden, which are all superb (though, I think he is Catholic).

My favorite course is actually this: "The Terror of History: Mystics, Heretics, and Witches in the Western Tradition," with Professor Teofilo F. Ruiz linked here: http://www.audible.com/pd/History/The-Terror-of-History-Mystics-Heretics-and-Witches-in-the-Western-Tradition-Audiobook/B00DICEHIS/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470330300&sr=1-1

I would also advise buying any Great Courses through Audible.com rather than the Great Courses site. It is cheaper and easier to download onto an mp3 player that way for listening in your car, etc.
 
Thanks for the course "Terror of History" reccomendation Perg, sounds really interesting.
I noticed you can get access to all these lectures if you become a member, kind of like Spotify.

A bit of a stupid question but is becoming a member of audible worth it? ($15.00 a month)
Is there any good Christian content on there? Does it have any reformed material on it?

Sorry to Hijack the thread :)
 
Thanks for the course "Terror of History" reccomendation Perg, sounds really interesting.
I noticed you can get access to all these lectures if you become a member, kind of like Spotify.

A bit of a stupid question but is becoming a member of audible worth it? ($15.00 a month)
Is there any good Christian content on there? Does it have any reformed material on it?

Sorry to Hijack the thread :)

Yes, I love audible. There is much good Christian audio on there, but I am mostly a fan of the history. Here are some good things available:

With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge: http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memoirs/With-the-Old-Breed-Audiobook/B00FOX9E2S/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470366096&sr=1-1

The Great Siege: Malta 1565: http://www.audible.com/pd/History/T...f=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470366166&sr=1-1

The Things They Carried: http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/T...f=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470366198&sr=1-1


And for theology:

67 hours of the Institutes for about 10 bucks if you mass-buy your credits: http://www.audible.com/pd/Religion-Spirituality/Institutes-of-the-Christian-Religion-Audiobook/B00G3L1AIG/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470366238&sr=1-1

Or Max McClean's excellent reading of the Bible: http://www.audible.com/pd/Religion-Spirituality/The-KJV-Listeners-Audio-Bible-Audiobook/B018HA2F3Y/ref=a_search_c4_1_2_srTtl?qid=1470366298&sr=1-2

Or his reading of Jonathan Edward's Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God: http://www.audible.com/pd/Religion-Spirituality/Sinners-in-the-Hands-of-an-Angry-God-Audiobook/B002V0JW3I/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1470366340&sr=1-1

Or Thomas Watson's Art of Divine Contentment: http://www.audible.com/pd/Religion-Spirituality/The-Art-of-Divine-Contentment-Audiobook/B0056IL11S/ref=a_search_c4_1_11_srTtl?qid=1470366366&sr=1-11


I listen to audiobooks from Audible for at least 3-5 hours per week at a minimum when driving, hiking, walking, jogging, lifting, or cleaning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top