Quick question re: RC Eschatology

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulfCoast Presbyterian

Puritan Board Senior
I have some RC friends asking me to explain to them the "Left Behind book/movie concept." They express that they feel "Left Behind" must be the "historic protestant position." In preparing to deal with the differences between the historical reformed Amil/Post-mil position(s) versus pre mil/pre-trib dispensationalism (and share the Gospel), I started to wonder what the RC "official position" is on eschatology. It looks to me to be (sort of) amil, but can be all over the place depending on where you look.

If any of you are familiar with RC eschatology, what is the "base position" regarding futurist/historicist/idealist, the millennium, and the tribulation, please?

Concise is fine. :D

Thanks!

Their position is Futurist, it is a reaction to the Historicist Protestant Position of the papa being the Antichrist.

It is similar to the Dispensational Futurist system in that there is a future falling away & end time persecution of/in the Romish "church", and the rise of the antichrist, complete fiction it is, devised by her revived knight templar crusading jesuit counter-reformation monks.

Show them the pertinent portion of the original WCF or Lutheran confession where it states that their leader is the Antichrist. Explain that is the "historic Protestant postion" if they are really interested. :)

Show them the pertinent portion of the original WCF or Lutheran confession where it states that their leader is the Antichrist. Explain that is the "historic Protestant postion" if they are really interested. :)

They are pretty much familiar with that one. I think it's the one thing all RC folks DO know about the Confession. :)

I will give you the vast majority opinion of most RC's. They are like most protestants in that they rarely or never speak of The Resurrection and only think about the intermediate state. That is the "official" position of the vast majority of RC's and protestants.

I'm sure they won't teach that the Papacy and the RC Church will come to an end before the Eschaton.

They believe and boast in the "indefectibility" of the RC Church. It will go on forever.

Some Protestants appear to believe in this too.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

I was at a book sale a few days ago and saw a book by a RC priest about the end times remnant church.

They are pretty much familiar with that one. I think it's the one thing all RC folks DO know about the Confession. :)

Does their being cognizant of that but then asking if "Left Behind" is the historic view indicate that drinking alcohol in large quantities has destroyed a significant number of brain cells? You know how we roll down here on the Gulf Coast.

You might want to begin by answering their question

RC friends asking me to explain to them the "Left Behind book/movie concept.

That it is based in heresy.

Their position is Futurist, it is a reaction to the Historicist Protestant Position of the papa being the Antichrist.

It is similar to the Dispensational Futurist system in that there is a future falling away & end time persecution of/in the Romish "church", and the rise of the antichrist, complete fiction it is, devised by her revived knight templar crusading jesuit counter-reformation monks.

I forgot about that. I remember reading City of God and seeing it is very Futuristic, even if amillennial on the timing of the millennium.

During my time as a Roman Catholic, I didn't hear all that much about eschatology. Some speak about a 'chastisement' where God will punish the world. A RC friend pointed me to the book The Devil's Final Battle by Paul Kramer, which can be accessed online for free here. I remember reading on a forum that apparently, according to tradition, the antichrist will be an antipope.

One eschatological event spoken about by several RC saints that used to terrify me was the 'Three Days of Darkness'. During this time the whole world will be dark and all the demons will be released from hell. Anyone caught outside will die and anyone who looks out the window will die. The only source of light during the three days will be from blessed candles which will only burn in the homes of the faithful. I've heard it said that people will hear cries from outside that sound like those of friends or family members, but if they go outside they will die. A large number of people will die during the three days, which will be preceded by a warning where everyone on earth will see themselves as God sees them.

It would seem that the Left Behind view became popular during the late 1800's, in part, because it gave seminarians and pastors a 'politically correct' option, allowing them to avoid branding the Pope as Antichrist.

Today’s evangelicals seem to have forgotten the papacy’s abuses that Spurgeon was certain we would never forget:

“Whether it may be traced to want of will or want of inclination on the part of other establishments, it is certain that the Popish Antichrist alone has been able to drink of the overflowing blood-cup filled by familiars and tormentors. Long pampered by the state, she came to be its lord and tyrant, using fire and sword, prison and rack, to work her accursed will. The Inquisition was the masterpiece of infernal craft and malice, and its deeds were far more worthy of fiends than men. If the church of Rome could at this moment change its Ethiopian skin for ever, lay aside its leopard's spots, and become a pure community, ten thousand years of immaculate holiness and self-denying philanthropy could not avail to blot out the remembrance of the enormous crimes with which the Inquisition has loaded it. There is a deep and indelible sentence of damnation written upon the apostate church by avenging justice for its more than infernal cruelties, and the curse is registered in heaven; nor can any pretences to present liberality reverse the condemnation which outraged humanity has pronounced against it; its infamy is engraved in the rock for ever. Centuries of the most liberal policy would not convince mankind that Popery had become tolerant at heart; she wallowed so greedily in oppression, torture, and murder in her palmy days, that the foam of human gore hangs around her wolfish hugs, and men will not believe her to be a gentle lamb, let her bleat as she may. Against her common humanity is up in arms as much as evangelical religion.” (“The Inquisition” by C. H. Spurgeon, from the August 1868 Sword and Trowel magazine)

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back