R.C. Sproul quotes Webmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingFlax

Puritan Board Sophomore
Last week I was fortunate enough to come across a nice little book entitled Justification...it's a slice taken from out of Francis Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology. Well, having read so many of Matthew's high praises and recommendations of Turretin I immediately said to myself "dude, you NEED to get this."

In the introduction, which was written by R.C.Sproul, he quotes right from off of the puritan's mind website. I thought it was neat.

So it looks like webmaster just about big-time now...they say that this is when people start to change...you know, let it go to their head and all. :wink:
 
[quote:824a1dc7b4][i:824a1dc7b4]Originally posted by SmokingFlax[/i:824a1dc7b4]
Last week I was fortunate enough to come across a nice little book entitled Justification...it's a slice taken from out of Francis Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology. Well, having read so many of Matthew's high praises and recommendations of Turretin I immediately said to myself "dude, you NEED to get this."

[/quote:824a1dc7b4]

That's funny; I saw the same thing in Sproul's catalogue on Turretin. I was thinking about that today at work. I would have just put it on my "eventually-need-to-get-list" were it not for Webmaster's high recommendation of Turretin. He keeps saying how precise Turretin is. On a subject like justification that must be a good thing. Anyway, it runs for about $10, a worthy investment, no?
 
Yes...I paid about $10 for my copy. So far it's a good read -certainly worth the price...it actually reminds me of Sproul's book Faith Alone (which was one of the first Reformed books I ever read). I like how Turretin compares and contrasts the whole disagreement between the Romish infused/inherent view of righteousness versus the Reformed imputed/forensic view of righteousness/justification...it's VERY helpful in forming my understanding of this crucial doctrine which, embarrassingly, I don't feel I know as well as a Christian ought to. Some day I will get the whole bulk of Turretin's writings if God is willing. So far it hasn't been as difficult of a read as I feared it might be (perhaps because I was somewhat familiar with the terms and controversies from Sproul's Faith Alone).

Matthew,

Nope, it's a direct quote from you...it reads:

'C. Matthew McMahon says of Turretin:

Among Reformed Theologians of the world, both present and past, Francis Turretin's Institutio fares among the greatest Protestant theological work ever written. And if more disciples of Jesus Christ were to pick this work up and read it, then live it, the church would [be] a force to be reckoned with in this 21st century. We may compare Turretin's work against Luther's voluminous productions, Calvin's writings, and others. Yet I believe Turretin's theological compilation and sheer depth outweighs them all. Some may disagree knowing Calvin and Luther, and others, were the foundations on which Turretin's biblical theology emerged, and this may be true, yet his logic, order, and keen insight into the Scriptures shine brighter among the scholastics than any I know.'

In the footnote he gives his reference as your Puritan's mind web-site, etc.

This little book (111 pages) was translated by George Musgrave Giger and edited by James T. Dennison Jr.
Is Giger the guy who originally translated the entire Institutes into English? Also, what was the original language? I'm guessing Latin (???).

So it looks like ol' R.C. is surfing your site...he's a puritanhead! :pilgrim:
 
Neat.
I wonder if, while he was poking around there, he may have visited this forum as well? I wouldn't be surprised.
Bob
 
[quote:c22e6415bc][i:c22e6415bc]Originally posted by SmokingFlax[/i:c22e6415bc]
This little book (111 pages) was translated by George Musgrave Giger and edited by James T. Dennison Jr.
Is Giger the guy who originally translated the entire Institutes into English? Also, what was the original language? I'm guessing Latin (???).[/quote:c22e6415bc] Without seeing the booklet, I think it must be an excerpt from the Institutes. And yes, according to the editor's preface, Giger hand-wrote 8000 pages of translation to assist Princetonians in Ch. Hodge's theology classes. Yes, it was out of the original Latin.
 
[quote:cb1ea32089][i:cb1ea32089]Originally posted by blhowes[/i:cb1ea32089]
Neat.
I wonder if, while he was poking around there, he may have visited this forum as well? I wouldn't be surprised.
Bob [/quote:cb1ea32089]

Mr. Sproul, you lurker, we're on to you!:yes: Nothing can escape the eye of the Smiley!
 
[b:a036cac253]Daniel wrote:[/b:a036cac253]
Mr. Sproul, you lurker, we're on to you!:yes: Nothing can escape the eye of the Smiley!

:lol:
 
[quote:67df782b51]Matthew,

Nope, it's a direct quote from you...it reads:

'C. Matthew McMahon says of Turretin:

Among Reformed Theologians of the world, both present and past, Francis Turretin's Institutio fares among the greatest Protestant theological work ever written. And if more disciples of Jesus Christ were to pick this work up and read it, then live it, the church would [be] a force to be reckoned with in this 21st century. We may compare Turretin's work against Luther's voluminous productions, Calvin's writings, and others. Yet I believe Turretin's theological compilation and sheer depth outweighs them all. Some may disagree knowing Calvin and Luther, and others, were the foundations on which Turretin's biblical theology emerged, and this may be true, yet his logic, order, and keen insight into the Scriptures shine brighter among the scholastics than any I know.'

In the footnote he gives his reference as your Puritan's mind web-site, etc.

This little book (111 pages) was translated by George Musgrave Giger and edited by James T. Dennison Jr.
Is Giger the guy who originally translated the entire Institutes into English? Also, what was the original language? I'm guessing Latin (???).

So it looks like ol' R.C. is surfing your site...he's a puritanhead![/quote:67df782b51]

Neat! Thanks for sharing that. Its an encouragement.
 
Cool!

Hey R.C., why don't you join the forum?

I just recently wrote to R.C. concerning some health problems that he's been having. I received a letter from him in May. He said he's "been under the care of an alternative medicine doctor, who is working with me using 'natural' healing methods." He also said that he "works with an osteopath who uses 'natural' supplements." :thumbup:
 
[b:ad0155ecb7]Matthew wrote:[/b:ad0155ecb7]
I'm going to write him a letter after I get the book and see his introduction. I will invite him then. :thumbup:

I really hate putting anybody on a pedestal, but wouldn't it be so cool if he did join the forum and participated from time to time? Some of you guys have probably seen him in person or maybe attended one of his classes, but the closest I've ever gotten to interacting with him was watching his video series during sunday school class. That was a blessing, but this would kick it up a notch or two.

Bob
 
I got to meet R.C. back in 2000 in Charlotte. I got him to sign a bunch of books for me. Met his wife as well. Super nice people, especially his wife. I only wanted one book signed but his wife said," oh no, R.C. WILL sign all of them,want you honey?" LOL

Cole
 
I had him sign a whole bunch of books all at one time - I had him for a teacher in 1992. I brought them in to class, plopped them down on the table and asked if he would. He was gracious. Then we exchanged a card trick (a regular practice among those in seminary just in case any of you get shortchanged on your education).
 
[quote:43602d3b00="Paul manata"][quote:43602d3b00="WrittenFromUtopia"]I have a confession to make... I'm R.C. Sproul.[/quote:43602d3b00]

well, that would account for why your arguments for credobaptism are weak... your hearts just not in it R.C. Good to see you playing devils advocate, though.

Paul

p.s. the above was meant strictly in good humor[/quote:43602d3b00]

To use an internet acronym...

ROFL!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top