Ranting about blogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt01

Puritan Board Senior
This is not directed at anyone in particular...

I am tired of seeing so many half-baked blogs. People say "œcome read my blog"¦", and when you visit their site you find one or two posts written months back. There is such a plethora of these ghost blogs that it takes forever to find one that is worthwhile to read. I think we would be better off if 90% of the blogs were erased.

Secondly, I am tired of these blogs written by people who have never even been out of the nest, and yet try to make themselves sound like Harvard educated philosophers--with such amazingly deep thoughts. It is fine if they want to have a blog, just write about something they have some authority on.

Rant over.

:amen:

to letting crumby blogs :tombstone:

when i realized how bad my blog was -- i decided to never advertise it-- :)

it's being remodeled... or is it?

I don't know how to get rid of mine, wish I could, it costs me money every month and I hardly ever write in it anymore.

Originally posted by turmeric
I don't know how to get rid of mine, wish I could, it costs me money every month and I hardly ever write in it anymore.

How does it cost you money? How did you start it? You should be able to "get rid of it" if you want

Mine are all free. And I admit, I advertised on one of mine and one of hubby's on here...and wouldn't you know...we've just started actually blogging in them. It'll also take awhile to get alot up. Right now I have about 5 active blogs. But they have limited entries right now as they are all fairly new.

Sorry! I am trying to get it going again and redo somethings now that I an finshed planning my wedding and all.

I will try to do better, Matthew. :cool:

You know who you are. Though warned, you have failed to heed the advice... Please, for the sake of those searching the Internet for some scrap of interesting knowledge, take down the blog if you have never posted to it. It is so sad to stumble across an interesting sounding blog and find it blank.

:(

Matthew,

Is that picture really you? Man, dude, lighten up on the blog bit. It ain't worth getting all grumpy over.

Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
Matthew,

Is that picture really you?

osbornethumb.jpg

Man, dude, lighten up on the blog bit. It ain't worth getting all grumpy over.

36_11_6.gif

[Edited on 1-7-2006 by puritancovenanter]

Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
Matthew,

Is that picture really you? Man, dude, lighten up on the blog bit. It ain't worth getting all grumpy over.

:lol:

Yes, that picture perfectly matches the rant!!

But I completely agree with your points, especially the second! If only Increase Mather looked grumpy, not semi-conscious!

Originally posted by matthew
This is not directed at anyone in particular...

I am tired of seeing so many half-baked blogs. People say "œcome read my blog"¦", and when you visit their site you find one or two posts written months back. There is such a plethora of these ghost blogs that it takes forever to find one that is worthwhile to read. I think we would be better off if 90% of the blogs were erased.

Secondly, I am tired of these blogs written by people who have never even been out of the nest, and yet try to make themselves sound like Harvard educated philosophers--with such amazingly deep thoughts. It is fine if they want to have a blog, just write about something they have some authority on.

Rant over.

I have noticed this tendency too, which is one reason why I don't have a blog. I tell myself, do I really have anything original or worthwhile to offer that hasn't been said better somewhere else?

On the other hand, I've seen many blogs that are worthwhile reads, but who has time to read them all? With the internet we've truly reached information overload and it requires a great deal of wisdom and discernment to determine how best to utilize our time with all the resources we have before us. This includes the PB and some of the more worthwhile Yahoo groups, etc. You can literally spend all day posting and responding, but is that the best use of our time?

I use mine specifically to post online devotionals for family worship for my church and anyone else that is interested. It is easier than emailing them out to everyone and allows me to post on other topics when the need or opportunity arises. (I also do not have to use handouts and waste paper and ink.)

I agree that they can be a bother. But they can also prove to be a very valuable tool in the work of pastors in teaching their congregations - it gives me a daily opportunity to instruct in righteousness instead of just a once or twice a week shot!

I guess it is all in your perspective. I for one intend to use this FREE tool for the kingdom!!

Phillip

I am one of those whom you could say is negligent. But I use mine more for a witnessing tool. I have the link in my signature of my emails now. And I post pictures and other stuff that others may find interesting. And you know I am pretty interesting. Just ask me and I will tell you. Anyways I don't want to bog down others with to much of my insanity. So I leave very little on there. Just the important stuff. :pilgrim:

I like some blogs. News blogs are often good. Soldier blogs from Iraq give a fresh insight. Carefully worded theology blogs are good.

Blogs are okay IF (and this is a big if) they are carefully written and not just one of these teenage I-need-attention-please-listen-to-me blogs, that start with, "Wow,today I, like, got up and I was wondering what I should do and then it occurred to me that......blah blah..."

Get a friend for your drivel, dude!

They should be clearly labeled according to subject. They should not be in the "Dear Diary" format. They should not be diary entries (again, dude, get a friend), they should be concise.

Don't visit my blog!!

At least not right now. I started it at the request of several folks. But, life has intervened and I have been working a total of 60 - 70 hours each week between being a pastor and a contractor. Sorry.

I'm hoping to fire it back up in about two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back