JeffR
Puritan Board Freshman
June 27, 2026 -- 125 days to go
Greetings one and all, I hope this endeavor here is deemed ok by all here, I just want to chart my progress through these books with a target date of October 31,i'll be using the countdown --- it may seem unlikely at the start that i'll reach the finish line for all or most, but we'll see, I love a good reading challenge, and i've so rarely succeeded so that with each new challenge it's more of a challenge, even superficial and inconsequential things can be a challenge for yours truly. There are 2 things in transit to me that will become a part of this William Jay's Morning and Evening Exercises, and 19 volumes of Puritan Treasures for Today. And I believe that perhaps the best method of doing this is to not record lengthy portions but only roughly about 10 minutes for each, and for those who know these resources well shall be able to see how much progress i'm making by comparing where I leave off on one day and where I pick up on the next day, and so on. I apologize for making innumerable pronunciation mistakes, and the odd coughing, and any unsavory coffee sipping sounds, besides that it'smy prayer that someone at least may be "fed" by something I read, these are some of the best books I have, and is about 0.004% into my rest of my life reading goals.
RHKJVSB
The plan here is to go through Gen. to Rev. with only the articles and devotional notes for each Bible chapter, and the Reformed confessions and catechisms at the back a few times by the end of October 2026, which is 125 days from the time I write, I shall be doing a lot of reading without recording, I just really want to have a record of some sort that will be a kind of evidence that I am indeed doing this and not just saying it, it's similar to wanting to be pinched when you think you're dreaming, and wanna see if you wake up from such a splendid reality that is too good.
voca.ro
RST
from Ch. 8 -- How Do We Do Theology? Part 1 -- Spiritual Dynamics, Prologomena cites Van Til's An Introduction to Systematic Theology alot!! Of the Van Til in my library i'd rather tackle The Defense of the Faith instead though as a1st official Til book to read, although Bahnsen's Van Til's Apologetic looks like a real good intro to that man's contribution to theology. Last year I listened to some of his messages from Sermon Audio,he was way more lively than I thought he'd sound like, it's like as a writer he's dry, but as a lecturer he warm, funny and exuberant.
voca.ro
"The theologian must constantly pray,'Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths' (Ps.25:4)."
William Perkins recommends to students of theology to carefully read and analyze 1) Romans 2) John 3) Genesis 4) Psalms and 5) Isaiah -- 3 to 5 as examples of key OT books, this is what my ESV Study Bible can be of use,and the commentaries of Calvin, Gill, Henry, and Poole could come in handy, but to record readings there would be like the Preacher preaching on Sunday on a unicycle. For Psalms down the road i'd love to get that 4 volume set by Ash, to accompany Spurgeon's Treasury of David.
I've read this Prologomena a number of times,just not much further, I need to be reading theology proper here in the very same mindset as this Prologomena sends me to, a place of zeal for what is best.
John Cotton
These sermons on Zechariah 12 are making me want to get back to Isaac Ambrose's Looking Unto Jesus, which I learned about when watching those Puritan Theology lectures of Beeke, along with Krummacher's The Suffering Savior. It's these kinds of devotional Puritan works that are most sweet to get into, instead of say a "nuttin' but the facts ma'am" kind of rigorous study of say eschatology. With these devotional classics I can be killing sin, in that Owen like manner, be killing sin, or it be killing you.
voca.ro
Nick Needham
voca.ro
Iain Murray
voca.ro
Jay and Puritan Treasures aren't to be completed by Oct. 31 though, but they'll be a part of the daily readings. And when I say "my" books, I am actually in error, like Laban saying to Jacob all these are mine, all you see is mine, in that kind of way nothing here is mine, but has been given to me, only as I make them more and more a part of my practical living will they in any sense be thought of as "mine" but maybe a better term will be part-ownership.
There is room for more, I need to fit these into the daily readings, these also are to be completed before Oct. 31
Spiritual Refining by Anthony Burgess
voca.ro
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock
Looking Unto Jesus by Isaac Ambrose
Communion With the Triune God by John Owen
voca.ro
In audible i'm going through: Thomas Watson's A Body of Divinity and Jonathan Edwards' The Religious Affections, and 3 Bibles.
Greetings one and all, I hope this endeavor here is deemed ok by all here, I just want to chart my progress through these books with a target date of October 31,i'll be using the countdown --- it may seem unlikely at the start that i'll reach the finish line for all or most, but we'll see, I love a good reading challenge, and i've so rarely succeeded so that with each new challenge it's more of a challenge, even superficial and inconsequential things can be a challenge for yours truly. There are 2 things in transit to me that will become a part of this William Jay's Morning and Evening Exercises, and 19 volumes of Puritan Treasures for Today. And I believe that perhaps the best method of doing this is to not record lengthy portions but only roughly about 10 minutes for each, and for those who know these resources well shall be able to see how much progress i'm making by comparing where I leave off on one day and where I pick up on the next day, and so on. I apologize for making innumerable pronunciation mistakes, and the odd coughing, and any unsavory coffee sipping sounds, besides that it'smy prayer that someone at least may be "fed" by something I read, these are some of the best books I have, and is about 0.004% into my rest of my life reading goals.
RHKJVSB
The plan here is to go through Gen. to Rev. with only the articles and devotional notes for each Bible chapter, and the Reformed confessions and catechisms at the back a few times by the end of October 2026, which is 125 days from the time I write, I shall be doing a lot of reading without recording, I just really want to have a record of some sort that will be a kind of evidence that I am indeed doing this and not just saying it, it's similar to wanting to be pinched when you think you're dreaming, and wanna see if you wake up from such a splendid reality that is too good.
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
RST
from Ch. 8 -- How Do We Do Theology? Part 1 -- Spiritual Dynamics, Prologomena cites Van Til's An Introduction to Systematic Theology alot!! Of the Van Til in my library i'd rather tackle The Defense of the Faith instead though as a1st official Til book to read, although Bahnsen's Van Til's Apologetic looks like a real good intro to that man's contribution to theology. Last year I listened to some of his messages from Sermon Audio,he was way more lively than I thought he'd sound like, it's like as a writer he's dry, but as a lecturer he warm, funny and exuberant.
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
"The theologian must constantly pray,'Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths' (Ps.25:4)."
William Perkins recommends to students of theology to carefully read and analyze 1) Romans 2) John 3) Genesis 4) Psalms and 5) Isaiah -- 3 to 5 as examples of key OT books, this is what my ESV Study Bible can be of use,and the commentaries of Calvin, Gill, Henry, and Poole could come in handy, but to record readings there would be like the Preacher preaching on Sunday on a unicycle. For Psalms down the road i'd love to get that 4 volume set by Ash, to accompany Spurgeon's Treasury of David.
I've read this Prologomena a number of times,just not much further, I need to be reading theology proper here in the very same mindset as this Prologomena sends me to, a place of zeal for what is best.
John Cotton
These sermons on Zechariah 12 are making me want to get back to Isaac Ambrose's Looking Unto Jesus, which I learned about when watching those Puritan Theology lectures of Beeke, along with Krummacher's The Suffering Savior. It's these kinds of devotional Puritan works that are most sweet to get into, instead of say a "nuttin' but the facts ma'am" kind of rigorous study of say eschatology. With these devotional classics I can be killing sin, in that Owen like manner, be killing sin, or it be killing you.
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
Nick Needham
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
Iain Murray
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
Jay and Puritan Treasures aren't to be completed by Oct. 31 though, but they'll be a part of the daily readings. And when I say "my" books, I am actually in error, like Laban saying to Jacob all these are mine, all you see is mine, in that kind of way nothing here is mine, but has been given to me, only as I make them more and more a part of my practical living will they in any sense be thought of as "mine" but maybe a better term will be part-ownership.
There is room for more, I need to fit these into the daily readings, these also are to be completed before Oct. 31
Spiritual Refining by Anthony Burgess
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock
Looking Unto Jesus by Isaac Ambrose
Communion With the Triune God by John Owen
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
In audible i'm going through: Thomas Watson's A Body of Divinity and Jonathan Edwards' The Religious Affections, and 3 Bibles.
Last edited: