Reading Order for studying Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
What would I read in order in studying Covenant Theology? (ebook is the cheapest way to go.)

1. The Bible, starting where God started in Genesis.
2. The Westminster Confession, especially chapters 7-8. 1647 Westminster Confession of Faith eBook - KJV | The Puritan Shop
3. Simple Overview of Covenant Theology. McMahon. A Simple Overview of Covenant Theology | The Puritan Shop
4. Covenant Theology Made Easy, McMahon. Covenant Theology Made Easy - by C. Matthew McMahon | The Puritan Shop
5. The Reformed Apprentice: A Workbook on Reformed Theology – by C. Matthew McMahon
6. A Discourse on Covenant Theology and Infant Baptism – by Cuthbert Sydenham (or Sidenham) (1622–1654)
7. Covenant Holiness and Infant Baptism – by Thomas Blake (1597-1657)
8. The Covenant of Grace Opened – by Thomas Hooker (1586-1647)
9. The Manifold Wisdom of God Seen in Covenant Theology. George Walker. The Manifold Wisdom of God Seen in Covenant Theology - by George Walker (1581-1651) | The Puritan Shop
10. The Covenant of God. Thomas Blake. The Covenant of God | The Puritan Shop
11. The Covenant of Life Opened. Samuel Rutherford. The Covenant of Life Opened | The Puritan Shop
12. The Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man. Herman Witsius. The Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man: Comprehending a Complete ... - Herman Witsius - Google Books
13. Infant Baptism of Christ’s Appointment – by Samuel Petto (1624–1711)

That would about do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the list. I just ordered Sacred Bond based on the recommendation of Monergism Books. Then perhaps I'll tackle a few of the books on this list.

Thank you Matthew. I was almost going to ask this question. Why did you not put Witsius at no 5? I would have thought you would have put this ahead of blake and Rutherford?

As a matter of interest I find Witsius easier to read than Rutherford. I read Witsius even before I read your "Covenant Theology Made Easy" and could still understand him! Not so Rutherford.

Matthew, what do you think of Bavincks Covenant Theology in his Reformed Dogmatics?

I love Bavinck. Dutch writers are often over wordy and think in big ideas and I happen to like that. There are some things he is "off" a little on, but overall it is hard to go wrong with Bavinck on a number of standard issues.

Does anyone have anything to say to a newbie about Witsius' Economy of the Covenants? Its still sitting on my shelf in plastic wrapping awaiting the book-sniff-page-turning sequence. I confess, I am intimidate but excited.

Hey C. Matthew, I don't know if you've looked into any Christian Reconstructionist stuff, but have you ever read Ray Sutton's That You May Prosper? I know there are a number of people who would argue that should be on a "Covenant Theology Reading List," too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back