Recommend me music

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven-nemes

Puritan Board Sophomore
Specifically, I want good jazz albums; by jazz, I mean mostly avant-garde stuff but I am open to anything, even softer, "blue" jazz as well.
 
Howdy brother

Miles Davis w/ John Coltrane and Pat Metheny
smiley_emoticons_my2cents.gif



humbly,
 
Melody Gardot, Jane Monheit, Nina Simone, Etta James, Billie Holiday, Eliot Fitzgerald
 
Specifically, I want good jazz albums; by jazz, I mean mostly avant-garde stuff but I am open to anything, even softer, \"blue\" jazz as well.

Avett Brothers!

[video=youtube;ug7IgB8MfWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug7IgB8MfWE&feature=channel[/video]
 
Use iTunes radio and log into WRTI- they play a great selection. They play old school and new stuff. They are close to me in Philadelphia.
 
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones ROCK!
[video=youtube;nESdn_5lNzc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nESdn_5lNzc&feature=related[/video]
 
[video=youtube;YGKdBkBuBZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGKdBkBuBZQ&feature=related[/video]
 
An amazing band named Exivious is a rare breed -- their music is almost exactly 50% metal and 50% jazz fusion.

I know it's not pure jazz, but I thought I'd try it anyway...
 
Miles Davis-Miles Smiles,Bitches Brew,Tribute to Jack Johnson and Miles in the Sky

Wes Montgomery-The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

The Mahavishnu Orchestra-The Inner Mounting Flame (Jazz Fusion-Amazing!)

These were all very influential during my teens and continue to be staggeringly good!
Amazon.com: Miles in the Sky: Miles Davis: Music
 
Last edited:
Miles Daves, Kind of Blue
Thelonious Monk, Solo Monk
John Coltrane, A Love Supreme
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, Ella and Louis
Anything by Carmen McRae
Blossom Dearie, Blossom Dearie
 
You can't go wrong with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, or Thelonious Monk!

My desert island pick would be Duke Ellington, The Blanton/Webster band three-disk-set. Outstanding! And Johnny Hodges, Live at the Sportpalast Berlin.
 
We have really enjoyed Jens Lindemann. We have had the privilege of seeing him perform twice at Shenandoah University. My 16 year old loves his music. He does a little bit of everything.
 
Specifically, I want good jazz albums; by jazz, I mean mostly avant-garde stuff but I am open to anything, even softer, "blue" jazz as well.

If you want 'avant-guard' stuff, then you want Ornette Coleman, Dave Leibman, and Keith Jerret. Also Trane's "A Love Supreme" as mentioned earlier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top