Registers of the Consistory of Geneva in the Time of Calvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this at the local used bookstore today for $9.98. Looked it up on Amazon and found out I got quite a deal! Looks interesting! :think:

Amazon.com: The Registers of the Consistory of Geneva at the Time of Calvin: Volume 1: 1542-1544: Robert, M. Kingdon, Thomas, A. Lambert, Isabella, M. Watt: Books

Huh - that's the monster-size variety. I've got P.E. Hughes's single-volume edition, which is interesting all on its own - but having the whole thing would definitely be cool. I don't know how many volumes of that set have actually been produced - do you know, Casey?

There's nothing in the front- or backmatter that suggests how many volumes it'll be, and Amazon knows nothing of a second volume. This was published in 2000. Maybe they stopped and don't intend to finish the set? :detective: When I get to the introduction maybe there will be a hint of what their plan is/was.

I've read quite a bit of the Hughes one-volume version. I suspect that the complete registry has a LOT of stuff that Hughes didn't include because it lacked an edifying quality? There's a good bit of useful stuff in my copy of Hughes - excellent stuff surrounding Servetus and other major controversies. How have you found what you have?

I think there is already a 22-volume set in French. This is the first volume of that series translated into English. And this volume only covers the first 2 years.

I tried reading through some volume or other a couple years ago. A friend was on the editorial team and it had just come out, I think. Other than fully ridding me of the naive notion that churches back in the good old days weren't as full of problems as ours, it was a pretty dull read. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back