Good eve. Have any of you read Religious Affections? I read a bit of it about 10 years ago, but stopped because of the difficulty comprehending Edwards' style and philosophical mind. I just downloaded a Kindle sample of a newer edition in modern simplified English. I'm considering buying it and reading through it. People seem to say it's one of the best Christian writings.
Greetings, David from Texas, and all-ye-all Sinner-Saints,
Have I? Oh, man, yes, I read every word–often in utter terror–about 15 years ago.
My Posts on
Religious Affections:
- My first post on Religious Affections (RA) was seven years ago (2016).
- My last RA post was on March 7, 2023. (several more of my posts are later in this Thread)
- I made ten more posts on RA between 2016-2023.
Here's what I said in my last post on RA in March.
I imagine few will agree with me,
but one of the scariest books I have ever read was
Jonathan Edward's Religious Affections.
But I plan to read it again.
I have since come to terms with what and why Edwards wrote as he did, but I will stop for now to see if there's any interest.
~~~~~~~
[Everything from here on could be in the daily devotions Forum, but I hope you don't mind]
~~~~~~~
Have a great Day at the feet of your greatest Admiror. Your
not-so-secret lover-firstly, then, The Everlasting God, Creator, Sustainer, and Governor
all things visible and invisible, Frind who sticks closer than a brother, Older brother, and the "Only Redeemer of God's elect." etc.
But back to the main theme. Jesus – Lover of your Soul. And what's not to love about us in His beautiful eyes?
I made reference to Jesus as your
"not-so-secret" Lover (Admiror). There is no
secret on Jesus' end, for with Him it's never "yea and nay," but everything is "For all the promises of God in him are yea, and
in Him, Amen, unto the glory of God by us." But it seems to me that this
self-professed insistence the He, the Father, as the fountainhead of the Three. I.e., "for
God so
loved the
World that
He sent..." Next, the Son poured out His very soul in the estate of his humiliation. See attached PDF of the 46 sub-questions Fisher's Catechism has on the Westminster Shorter Catechism.
QUESTION 27. Wherein did Christ’s humiliation consist?
ANSWER: Christ’s humiliation consisted in his being born, and that in a low condition, made under the law,
undergoing the miseries of this life, the wrath of God, and the cursed death of the cross; in being buried,
and continuing under the power of death for a time."
What was/is the heart of Jesus' message to those given to Him by the Father? Is it not His the same as the Father's?
Yes, the same. God is Love (itself). This is His own statement on the primacy of Love in God. But is He (the Godhead) not also a God of wrath? Yes indeed. He said several times after finishing the "God is Love" motif that He is a righteous Judge that can be provoked to wrath, but the only claim the Three Persons profess promiscuously is that:
- The Father – loved and gave everything–His precious Son to die.
- The Son – for the joy set before Him–that joy be you and me, folks – endured the cross.
- The Holy Spirit – The Spirit's task is to bring it all to life.
(If you think the first Six Days were tough, try the cat-herding task to bring about New Birth in the heart of
willing sinners before–and after–conversion).
A Summary:
- God the Father so loved
- Jesus fell in love
- The Holy Spirit gives God's love to live in the "dry bones" (elect).
A Gospel reminder from the Apostle
Romans 5:1-11 (paragraph breaks are mine)
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope: and hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
For when we were yet without strength, in due time, Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.