Rick Warren Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot

Puritan Board Sophomore
Someone forwarded me this e-mail. I don't know where it came from or if it's for real. Anyway, if it is accurate, anyone care to comment on Rick's interview? (for the record, I'm not a Rick Warren fan)



You will enjoy the new insights that Rick Warren has, with his wife now having cancer and him having "wealth" from the book sales. This isanabsolutely incredible short interview with Rick Warren, "Purpose Driven Life " author and pastor of Saddleback Church in California

In the interview by Paul Bradshaw with Rick Warren, Rick said:

People ask me, What is the purpose of life? And I respond: In a nutshell, life is preparation for eternity. We were made to last forever, and God wants us to be with Him in Heaven.

One day my heart is going to stop, and that will be the end of my body-- but not the end of me.

I may live 60 to 100 years on earth, but I am going to spend trillions of years in eternity. This is the warm-up act - the dress rehearsal. God wants us to practice on earth what we will do forever in eternity.

We were made by God and for God, and until you figure that out, life isn't going to make sense.

Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're just coming out of one, or you're getting ready to go into another one.

The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your comfort.

God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy.

We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in Christ likeness.

This past year has been the greatest year of my life but also the toughest, with my wife, Kay, getting cancer.

I used to think that life was hills and valleys - you go through a dark time, then you go to the mountaintop, back and forth. I don't believe that anymore .

Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life.

No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on.

And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for.

You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems.

If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness, "which is my problem, my issues, my pain." But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.

We discovered quickly that in spite of the prayers of hundreds of thousands of people, God was not going to heal Kay or make it easy for her.

It has been very difficult for her, and yet God has strengthened her character, given her a ministry of helping other people, given her a testimony, drawn her closer to Him and to people.

You have to learn to deal with both the good and the bad of life.

Actually, sometimes learning to deal with the good is harder. For instance, this past year, all of a sudden, when the book sold 15 million copies, it made me instantly very wealthy.

It also brought a lot of notoriety that I had never had to deal with before. I don't think God gives you money or notoriety for your own ego or for you to live a life of ease.

So I began to ask God what He wanted me to do with this money, notoriety and influence. He gave me two different passages that helped me decide what to do, II Corinthians 9 and Psalm 72

First, in spite of all the money coming in, we would not change our lifestyle one bit. We made no major purchases.

Second, about midway through last year, I stopped taking a salary from the church.

Third, we set up foundations to fund an initiative we call The Peace Plan to plant church es, equip leaders, assist the poor, care for the sick, and educate the next generation.

Fourth, I added up all that the church had paid me in the 24 years since I started the church, and I gave it all back. It was liberating to be able to serve God for free.

We need to ask ourselves: Am I going to live for possessions? Popularity?

Am I going to be driven by pressures? Guilt? Bitterness? Materialism? Or am I going to be driven by God's purposes (for my life)?

When I get up in the morning, I sit on the side of my bed and say, God, if I don't get anything else done today, I want to know You more and love You better. God didn't put me on earth just to fulfill a to-do list. He's more interested in what I am than what I do.

That's why we're called human beings, not human doings.

Happy moments, PRAISE GOD.
Difficult moments, SEEK GOD.
Quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD..
 
The horrible theological views he has expressed in the past have soured me on anything he might ever say -- short of public repentance for them. Please advise if this is part of the above post. Then I may come back and read it.
 
I am not normally a fan of him either, but this is an excellent response if he really said it. I am impressed with this at least.
 
His theology is still weak. However, in recent interviews he has handled himself well and responded in a manner that few could have pulled off. I know I couldn't have.
 
Sorry, it seems like every time I see him/hear him and someone (like Larry King) pulls the trigger on a question like "so a Muslim wouldn't go to heaven?", he waffles. "Jesus came to save, not to condemn - He was not about judgment, etc." I can't get past that.
 
Sorry, it seems like every time I see him/hear him and someone (like Larry King) pulls the trigger on a question like "so a Muslim wouldn't go to heaven?", he waffles. "Jesus came to save, not to condemn - He was not about judgment, etc." I can't get past that.

Yikes! Do you have a reference for that?
 
CNN.com - Transcripts

That's one of them - I am still looking for the other (it has something similar in this one, but not to the degree that I've heard it before). I'll have to keep looking - he has actually come through on it in a qualified way before, but the twisting and turning before he gets there really irks me. There's also his use of Pascal's wager - I can't fathom that from someone billed as "America's pastor".
 
It's not so much what he's saying in the interview, it's what's glaringly missing. Was Christ so much as mentioned once? I sure didn't see it anywhere. Did his understanding of life's purpose include the glorification of God as the ultimate and most significant end of man? It seemed to me that some kind of sentimental notion of eternity was put forward as our purpose in life, not the glory of God. And while his use of finances is certainly respectable, lets not forget the kind of product which gave him this money and fame in the first place: a shallow distortion of "Christianity" which caters to the emotional needs of sinful man and refuses to preach the whole counsel of God. I still think he is a wolf in sheep's clothing. The Purpose Driven Life has done more damage in distorting and confusing the gospel than it has in doing any good. Warren's gospel is a half-gospel, a Christ-less gospel, a gospel which eliminates sin, justice, wrath, and other Biblical concepts without which there is no gospel at all.
 
It's not so much what he's saying in the interview, it's what's glaringly missing. Was Christ so much as mentioned once? I sure didn't see it anywhere. Did his understanding of life's purpose include the glorification of God as the ultimate and most significant end of man? It seemed to me that some kind of sentimental notion of eternity was put forward as our purpose in life, not the glory of God. And while his use of finances is certainly respectable, lets not forget the kind of product which gave him this money and fame in the first place: a shallow distortion of "Christianity" which caters to the emotional needs of sinful man and refuses to preach the whole counsel of God. I still think he is a wolf in sheep's clothing. The Purpose Driven Life has done more damage in distorting and confusing the gospel than it has in doing any good. Warren's gospel is a half-gospel, a Christ-less gospel, a gospel which eliminates sin, justice, wrath, and other Biblical concepts without which there is no gospel at all.

He does say in The Purpose Driven Life, if I recall correctly, that our purpose is to glorify God. Its theology is otherwise -- as you state -- shallow, and it does indeed de-emphasize Christ. :(
 
haha. His statements look like a bunch of bumper stickers all lined up together. (and not even biblically sound ones either.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top