Sabbath in the Final State

Status
Not open for further replies.

chbrooking

Puritan Board Junior
Could anyone shed a little light on this for me. I was pondering Hebrews 4, and it seems to imply that there is a Sabbath for the church BECAUSE we have not yet entered that rest (consummately).

But that Got me thinking. Follow me on this, and then tell me what I'm missing -- it's a genuine inquiry (that is, I'm not just trying to stir some pot). The law reflects the thinking and character of God. Therefore, the law is eternal -- i.e., we'll obey the law in the final state. The ten commandments summarily comprehend that law. The 4th commandment requires honoring the Sabbath day. Therefore, the Sabbath day will be kept in heaven.

I'm confused. Am I reading Hebrews 4 wrong? My inference from Hebrews 4 would be that once we enter that rest, there is no longer a sabbath for the people of God.

I didn't search. This may have been done before. If so, just give me a link and I'll go there. Thanks.

Oh, also, I may not respond immediately. I've got a very busy schedule right now. Thanks again.

I always thought it would be like one long Sabbath. But I'm not sure what this does with the fact that the moral principle of the fourth commandment is resting one day in seven.

Actually, on the new earth, will we have work and jobs? :think:

I think that when the purposes of the day are taken into consideration, one can see blessed aspects of the 4C will be enjoyed in the eternal state also.

For that matter, none of the Commandments (they are summary anyway) will have the same form in the perfect state, where none can fall. How many heavenly dwellers will be idolaters? How many will need a warning not to commit adultery? All the purposes of the earthly, codified Law will have been achieved; the nature of our renewal will mean that constitutionally we will be whole in our hearts.

The Law will be ideally renewed there, as Scripture says: Rom.7:6 "But now we have been discharged from the law, having died to that wherein we were held; so that we serve in newness of the spirit, and not in oldness of the letter."

I do think the Sabbath in consummation is equal to the consummated state. Vos has an excellent description of this on p. 140 of BT.

I think it's the whole seven day week including the Sabbath that will be fulfilled in a different way in the eternal realm.

The week is the only unit of time that is revealed by special revelation rather than general revelation. The other units of time e.g. day, month, year, all partake of imperfection/incompleteness.

God imposed the week on His good but not perfect creation, so that Man would contemplate the progress that had been made towards subduing and ordering the creation towards the perfect world on a day at the end of each week which was devoted to rest and worship. The arrangement of six days devoted to work, rest, play and worship and one devoted to rest and worship was necessary for man's then state of existence, was necessary after the fall, and continues to be necessary after the New Creation and Redemption commenced in principle with the resurrection of Christ.

Who knows what new arrangement of work, rest, worship and play will be the blessed state of the saints in the New Heavens and New Earth, but the Seven Day week crowned by the Christian Sabbath, points us to it and reminds us of it. Indeed because it has commenced in principle and the powers of the eternal world have invaded earth in the giving of the Holy Spirit, the holy day is now at the beginning of the week rather than at its end.

Re Hebrews 4, Walter Chantry has written a good exposition of this in his book on the Lord's Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back