Scope of 1 Tim. 2:12-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reminded of this thread on the way to work this morning. Interesting experience.

I turned on the local Christian radio station and there was a woman talking. My first thought was to turn it off, which is usually what I'd do, but decided to listen for a few minutes. I thought it was probably a women's ministry of some kind. Turns out it wasn't a women's ministry, she was preaching. I ended up listening to the whole message, not out of curiosity or anything, but because it was an excellent message.

(Now, before you come down on me too hard, I turned the treble way down and the bass way up, so it sounded just like a man preaching).

She was talking about the OT sacrificial system and how those sacrifices that were offered year after year were done away and fulfilled by a better sacrifice, the sacrifice of Jesus, by whose sacrifice alone forgiveness comes. She spoke about the atonement, and how Jesus' sacrifice alone atones for our sins. She didn't say anything about asking Jesus into your heart, but spoke about repentance and putting your faith in Jesus' sacrifice. I was rejoicing as I listened. Had it been a man preaching, it was the kind of message (if you were a baptist) where you'd let a few Amens fly. (do Presbyterian's ever let Amens fly? - (jk))

I don't know if she was a pastor/preacher 'cause at the end they just referred to her by her first name, but she sure could preach well. The fact that she had excellent preaching skills doesn't change my belief that I don't think she should be a pastor or preach from a pulpit, but it just makes me wonder.

No offence to women, but this is the first time I've heard a woman 'preach' and have anything worthwhile to say. She was different. If she were a he, it'd make sense for him to preach from a pulpit and feed his flock each Sunday. But he's not a he, he's a she, so...

At the end of the show, the announcer gave a brief summary about what she'd be preaching about this coming Monday, and said to be sure to tune in to hear her. My initial thought was, "Sure, I'd be interesting in hearing her talk about that on Monday".

I don't know if I will, but, as I said at the beginning, interesting experience.

Well, I've kept my mouth shut long enough! :lol:

One of the things that has bothered me over the years is the idea (circulating in some reformed circles) that because women are not allowed to exercise teaching and leadership authority over men that God does not gift them to teach and preach. I think this is wrong. Don't get me wrong. I don't believe in women pastors or elders, but I do believe some women are gifted to teach and preach and those gifts can be used in other capacities within the body of Christ. There seem to be some out there who would shut women up completely, because it's less messy. In other words,, if you just tell them to be quiet, you don't have to deal with their moodiness, come up with places for them to minister, and you don't have to deal with the fact that they are so different.

I believe this why some gifted women (perhaps this woman) have tossed out obedience when it comes to exercising authority over men, because they've had enough of being told to be quiet. Again, this is not rebellion as much as it is frustration with where to exercise the gifts that God has given them.

I remember my mother telling about the women preachers in her church who used to come and preach at the women's meetings. She said they were as gifted and as powerful as the men she heard from the pulpit. They would never have dreamed of stepping behind the pulpit to teach the men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back