Searching for a quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Puritan Board Sophomore
I read a quote not long ago, but I can't remember who wrote or said it. Basically it stated that it is unfortunate that the very ones who place such a high value on what the Holy Spirit has to say to them, places very little value on what The Holy Spirit has said to others.

Does anyone know of the quote I'm referring to? Was this Spurgeon?

I found this quote at The PBC website in an article called The Divine Wind by Ray C. Stedman. It does not give a source as to where in Spurgeon's works he got the quote from, but sounds like the one you are looking for.

"Charles Spurgeon, the great English preacher, used to say, "I never could understand why some men set such great value on what the Holy Spirit said to them, and so little value on what he said to anyone else." This is what these people are implying: that only what God says to them counts -- as though he were not speaking to anyone else. But, you see, God has made the Scriptures, and he has also provided teachers who are gifted and helpful in understanding and explaining them. It takes both to enter into the full knowledge of truth."

http://www.pbc.org/library/files/html/0425.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back