Self Education by Audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother John

Puritan Board Sophomore
As a salesman I spend a lot of time in my truck driving from customer to customer. When I am not on the phone I would like to be learning. A few years ago when the Lord opened my eyes to the reformed faith I made a huge learning jump by burning up my iPod in the car and anywhere else it was appropriate. I would like to do this again. I am desiring the best education I can give myself by listening (for free I hope or atleast inexpensive). My first priority is to listen to the best reformed "audio seminary for the layman" as possible. Any ideas? I am also intrested in history, philosophy, apolegitics, logic, etc... from a reformed perspective. What would yall do if you were trying to build an audio university for yourself. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.
 
Blev3rd,

Reformed Theological Seminary and Covenant Theological Seminary have full courses on iTunesU. These run the gambit from Church History to Apologetics to Biblical Studies. The ones i've listened to are very accessible to the lay-person.

Hope This Helps
 
Blev3rd,

Reformed Theological Seminary and Covenant Theological Seminary have full courses on iTunesU. These run the gambit from Church History to Apologetics to Biblical Studies. The ones i've listened to are very accessible to the lay-person.

Hope This Helps


Thanks Chris I will look into these.
 
Your pastor has a great series on Reformation History on sermonaudio. But I'm sure that you know that already...:wave:
 
James White - The Dividing Line at aomin.org
Monergism Mp3 Library

I developed this habit about 8-9 yrs ago commuting to Columbus (an hrs drive) and my list of sources has grown but I like these.

Also try the MacLaurin Institute and the Trinity Foundation for Mp3.
 
Probably not as scholarly as the previously mentioned suggestions, but Oneplace has several excellent pastors/teachers/ministries available. There are of course some ministries that are best avoided but I am sure you can discern quality teachers. Some teachers you can find include Piper, MacArthur, Ravenhill, Sproul, Lloyd-Jones, Begg, Spurgeon, & The White Horse Inn. And best of all their MP3s are all free!

Oneplace.com
 
I always put the week's White Horse Inn on my Palm Pilot and go for a bike ride every Monday. A little more of the practical side of things... And if you start getting familiar with some of the preachers on SermonAudio, you'll find that in no time, you've got 10 that you HAVE TO HEAR every week.
 
As a salesman I spend a lot of time in my truck driving from customer to customer. When I am not on the phone I would like to be learning. A few years ago when the Lord opened my eyes to the reformed faith I made a huge learning jump by burning up my iPod in the car and anywhere else it was appropriate. I would like to do this again. I am desiring the best education I can give myself by listening (for free I hope or atleast inexpensive). My first priority is to listen to the best reformed "audio seminary for the layman" as possible. Any ideas? I am also intrested in history, philosophy, apolegitics, logic, etc... from a reformed perspective. What would yall do if you were trying to build an audio university for yourself. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

The RTS courses on iTunes are really great. I have almost finished the course "Theological foundations", lectured by Dr. Derek Thomas. I strongly recommend it.

The syllabus:

Lesson One
Introduction to Theology
Introduction to Reformed Theology
Introduction to Calvinism

Lesson Two
Pelagius and Pelagianism
Saint Augustine
The Reformation Proper

Lesson Three
Synod of Dordt
The Puritans
Hyper-Calvinism

Lesson Four
Original Sin
Total Depravity
The Bondage of the Will

Lesson Five
Biblical Terminology on Election
The Doctrine of Election
The Doctrine of Reprobation

Lesson Six
Order of Decrees
Infralapsarianism and Supralapsarianism
The Destiny of the Unevangelized

Lesson Seven
The Ministry of Jesus
Substitutionary Atonement
The Practical Effects of the Atonement

Lesson Eight
The Calvinistic and Arminian Views of the Atonement
The History of the Doctrine of the Atonement
The Difficult Passages Dealing with the Atonement

Lesson Nine
Biblical Context of Calling
The Distinctions Between General and Special Calling
Effectual Call

LessonTen
Exegetical Considerations for Perseverance of the Saints
Systematic Considerations for Perseverance of the Saints
Making a Christian Profession
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top