Should I watch "The Hunger Games"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't seem appealing at all to me. I'll be the odd man out, but it looks kinda predictable.
 
My granddaughters 10 and 11 wanted me to buy them the books. When I found out what they were about I told my daughter no. I do not think they need to read about such violence at their age. They can see enough of it on TV and in the streets.
 
I have read the books, they are excellently written. While reading them I found, myself confronted with the own evil and sinfulness of our own culture. The trilogy in there entirety are anything but predictable, it was hands down one of the most unpredictable books I have ever read.

John as far as not buying the books for your grandchildren I believe that was a good call. I do not think that the books are for that age group, they cannot understand the true meaning behind the books, all they will see is violence.

I have read allot of books but the Hunger Games Trilogy is the only one in that I read and feel that they are not just books but will be read for generations as good literature.
 
Yawn. It may someday make its way into our DVD player, but only as a loaner from the library. I'd rather fund other industries than Hollywood.
 
I"m gonna have to read the book sometime. I"m the type of person who will run away from something that attracts everybody else, so it's a little harder for me to get interested in it.
 
I thought it was phenomenal. Three "swear" words, no use of God's name in vain, and the story is so thought-provoking.

I was actually depressed for the lack of any gospel in it, during certain situations I thought, they should pray, they should be seeking God's will - no, there is no gospel in that world. Bleak, bleak, bleak in that sense.

The casting was unbelievably good, also the performances, four stars. Even the violence (people do get killed) is mitigated by shaky cam or looking away or implication - they do not revel in any gore. The murder is shown as despicable and evil and is not celebrated.

Bravery and self-sacrifice are the main character traits promoted. Excellent skewering of the Hollywood beautiful people. It is like Hollywood lampooning itself.

Obviously I recommend it.
 
I read the three-book series a few months ago and went to the midnight showing on Thursday. I really like the story, and as others have said, the movie is quite clean compared to others.
 
Just watched it, and the movie is really well made, good cast, good cast, good photography, etc.

The story is moving and, yes, get us thinking about our world. Also, the main characters are mostly 16, and the books (and movie) belong to the genres of young adult, science fiction, dystopia (most dystopian movies are good) and adventure.

I will probably buy the books now.

Oh, ant it's really not a violent movie, most violent scenes are either clean, fast or out of camera.

edit: p.s.: and no, the Hunger Games are not books to give to children (but to older teenagers and new adults)
 
Am reading the "Hunger Games" right now and I'll be honest. As I am "picturing" the story I can't help but imagine the heroine looking like the actress that played Susan Pevensie in the first Chronicles of Narnia movie.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top