Should these words be sung?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Puritan Board Freshman
I recently visited a church where the second verse of a song that was sung (supposed to be based on 1 Cor. 13) is as follows (translated from Afrikaans to English):

Without love, my gifts, all my zeal, would profit me nothing
Only love, unselfish, keeps on conquering evil with good
It cannot endure injustice; it stands with the truth
Through forgiveness, hope, and expectation, the best in us is set free

The last line bothered me because it very strongly implies that there is something good, implied by "the best in us", in us that is released or set free through forgiveness, hope and expectation. First, there is nothing like this even vaguely suggested in 1 Corinthians 13. Second, this sounds to me to be touching on Pelagianism. I found the following on the Ligonier website:

"On the lay level, Pelagianism is often the default position of many professing Christians. If someone declares that human nature is basically good, but they don’t make a distinction between pre-fall and post-fall human nature, there is a good possibility that they hold to some of the basic tenets of Pelagianism."

Any comments?
 
I get the concern, and yeah off first glance that language doesn't seem biblical to me. At the same time I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. I know we love talking about total depravity as reformed people, but in reality all humans do have good qualities to varying degrees. Generally all people know how to be kind, loving, and forgiving, even when these qualities are suppressed or expressed more or less. In the book of Acts, it says Barnabas was a good man. And there are other references in the Bible of people being virtuous and of good character.

At the same time if that line is referring to someone who does not have a relationship with God, yeah that is pretty strange because their life is ultimately being controlled by sin and the flesh. So what is the best in them? It can't be all that good because they are doing it for the wrong reasons and motives. But for the Christian, yes I think this is legitimate, and we must understand it comes from a work of grace.
 
My immediate reaction was that it sounds like theological liberalism or its current offspring, progressive Christianity. There's no Christ anywhere in that verse. Salvation comes through us letting the goodness inside of us out, so that we can stand against injustice and love others.

But I would want to see the context. If the rest of the song affirms that all of this is a gift of Christ, working inside of us his redeemed people (which is the wider context of 1 Corinthians 13), the verse might be okay.
 
Hi Johan

I also recently noticed those words and wondered about them!

For context, I translated verses 1 and 3 as well:

"1 If I were to talk in the tongues of men or angels without love,
my words would be hollow symbols, sounds without melody.
Even if I could interpret mysteries and overcome mountains through faith,
or if I had all knowledge – without love, I am nothing.

3 All tongues and prophecies pass with time.
Only love, which is perfect, comes and stays forever.
For faith gives comfort and direction; hope reaches for the future.
Love is and remains the greatest; love unlocks life."

Whatever the intent of the author, it does not directly convey a concept in 1 Cor 13, so I think it is inappropriate, especially as people will give it their own interpretation. It should rather have conveyed Christian maturity or conformity with our future perfect state. But let's not spoil a good rhyme with theological clarity and Biblical adherence, right?
 
Last edited:
I recently visited a church where the second verse of a song that was sung (supposed to be based on 1 Cor. 13) is as follows (translated from Afrikaans to English):

Without love, my gifts, all my zeal, would profit me nothing
Only love, unselfish, keeps on conquering evil with good
It cannot endure injustice; it stands with the truth
Through forgiveness, hope, and expectation, the best in us is set free

The last line bothered me because it very strongly implies that there is something good, implied by "the best in us", in us that is released or set free through forgiveness, hope and expectation. First, there is nothing like this even vaguely suggested in 1 Corinthians 13. Second, this sounds to me to be touching on Pelagianism. I found the following on the Ligonier website:

"On the lay level, Pelagianism is often the default position of many professing Christians. If someone declares that human nature is basically good, but they don’t make a distinction between pre-fall and post-fall human nature, there is a good possibility that they hold to some of the basic tenets of Pelagianism."

Any comments?
Would that be referring to us now having been saved?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top