Simple Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
I wished to share a portion of something that has been very helpful to me recently. I was convicted not long ago of my low amount of prayer and began reading and listening to resources on prayer. After listening to a wonderful, convicting sermon by Rev. Robert McCurley from August 2019 titled "Time for Prayer" I knew I should set certain times a day for prayer. I utterly depend on the Lord to accomplish this because I have a very hard time sticking with anything. I try and accomplish something that is scheduled and usually break it after a day or two. This will be a great burden and most likely bring much failure to devote certain time a day for prayer. If you find the time to, I would greatly appreciate prayer for this me in this matter. Anyway, the resource I wanted to share is a quote from Thomas Manton's "A Practical Exposition on the Lord's Prayer".

Even such a naked address should we make to God in a plain manner; for when we come to pray, Christ would have us take up God in the notion of a father, and to behave ourselves in a natural way to Him; for affected eloquence or loquacity in prayer is one of the main things Christ disproves. Prayer ought to be simple and plain; therefore the great business of the Spirit of adoption is to make us cry, "Abba, father" (Rom. 8:15).

May the Lord bless you as you labor through this week yoked to Christ Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back