Sin & Law & NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
Just when I thought I might be understanding it I get confused again.

How do we deal with the following verses and what do they mean:

1 Corinthians 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial"
1 Corinthians 8:9 "be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak."
1 Corinthians 10:23 "everything is permissible - but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible - but not everything is constructive."

By reading these verses as they are it seems to support antinomianism but we all now this is wrong. How do these verses fit in with the Ten Commandments and other teachings in the New Testament which are against idolatry, adultery, murder etc...

What is the deal with a Christian conscience?

(N.B please no books - I have no spendable money and shall be leaving the country in a matter of weeks and have no time to read or acquire anything new).

1) Paul seems to refer to something along the lines of what is physiologically possible. Ie, my body can engage in x, but that is not good.

2) The context in your second verse determines the meaning of the verse. Is it inherently wrong to eat meat sacrificed to idols? No, but if doing so destroys the conscience of others, don't do it? He is not referring to ALL actions, but only SOME.

Interesting. I never thought of some of those things before (and obviously have never been taught them). It will give me more things to think about and study.

Fraser

Originally posted by Abd_Yesua_alMasih
Just when I thought I might be understanding it I get confused again.

How do we deal with the following verses and what do they mean:

1 Corinthians 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial"
1 Corinthians 8:9 "be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak."
1 Corinthians 10:23 "everything is permissible - but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible - but not everything is constructive."

By reading these verses as they are it seems to support antinomianism but we all now this is wrong. How do these verses fit in with the Ten Commandments and other teachings in the New Testament which are against idolatry, adultery, murder etc...

What is the deal with a Christian conscience?

Fraser,

Remember to carefully read the entire context of the book/chapter. Stay away from comparing "verses" ....find out what the book or chapter says and means. Do a summary of the Text - think "book report." Paul - as an author of a letter to people, is communicating some very practical ideas to them. The upshot is, he's explaining to Christians (formerly pagans) the nuances of how they are to live. Consider that they lived in one of the most mainstream-decadent communities of the early Church...they were not Jewish and had no idea about the Ten Commandments or Moses or any of the virtue practices embraced by Jews. They ate stuff that offended their fellow-Jewish-Christians. (Ham sandwiches and sausages were gross to the Jews. Their common sexual ethic was contrary to the Jewish traditions, also. Paul is attempting to teach them about the concepts of a godly lifestyle without insisting that they must first, DO the good stuff in order to be saved. (That would be a works-based "salvation.") But Paul (a Jew) must still teach them (as a pastor should) what the new life in Christ IS. Paul is also trying to preserve the unity of that congregation. There was in-fighting; jealousy and competitiveness with the many teachers; confusion about the Christian lifestyle...Jewish Christians were trying to make sense of their freedom in Christ; pagan Christians were trying to figure-out who is this Moses-guy and the 10 Commandments and why obeying such Laws are important....(sound familiar?)

I think if you consider WHO Paul is writing to and WHY; and WHAT was going on in that time, you'll discover the Text is quite clear. Imagine what things were like in that moment and culture for the Corinthians. Compare Scripture with Scripture when discerning the doctrinal conclusion...the many clear verses override the fewer unclear ones.

:2cents:

Robin

Christian conscience = the Holy Spirit dwelling within the temple of God (which is you). Under the terms of the New Covenant, you have been given His Spirit as well as His law written in your heart and in your mind.

You are to "walk with God" as Enoch and Noah did. The Spirit will lead you to do nothing but obey the law (you can not escape the law written in your heart & mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back