Sin vs Legalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil,

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't think that there are words that are inherently off limits I think that context and intent are everything. I still haven't been given a straight answer.

1. What is a cuss word?

2. Where does the bible forbid the use of "cuss words".

My position is that our speech should be filled with light and grace, just like you I assume would desire. I do not however think that emphatic words are necessarily vulgar just because somebody says so arbitrarily. As Andrew suggests, there must be something universally defined as vulgar. Cussing doesn't corespond necessarily. Some cussing is vulgar, some cussing isn't. Some speech that contains the most "polite" words is exceedingly worse than the speech that pours out of the average unchurched guy that "cusses". I think it is the vulgar content that we should be after following the bible's guidance, not arbitrarily taboo terminology.

You really think you have not been given an answer?

What does the Bible say about our speech? Find all the verses that apply to what we say and examine them one by one - then ask if a word that is even [i:f8c6f379cf]questionable[/i:f8c6f379cf] should be the norm for believers.

Don't ask how close you can get to the fire, for the tongue is indeed a fire that no man can put out. Err on the side of purity and holiness.

Christians should not sound liek the world when they talk and to be blunt, most times the use of vulgarity is employed it is because the person did not take the time to THINK about the proper way to say something.

Phillip

Phil,

I've asked two questions. Maybe they seem absurd to you but I don't, which is where the gulf is between you and I's opinions. This isn't an issue of one of us wanting to get away with more dirt than the other, that's a bad reduction of my argument as well as a poor presumption on your part. I simply do not categorically agree with your concept of "cuss words" or the application of the verses quoted (as well as other vereses often quoted in this type of discussion) to prohibit the use of "cuss words".

You spoke of vulgarity being a wrong thing for a Christian to use. I agree. 100%. Proof must be given however that all so-called cuss words are inherently vulgar.

Well , one meaning of vulgar is common . AND , ... cuss words are all too common these days .

We could do a word search for profane , vulgar , dirty talk , obsenity(sp ? ) , foul language etc. There are distinctions , but , don't you know what we should not use in our communication ?

On one area , I am sick and tired of the T.G. i. F . expression . Anyone who uses God's Name in other than a reverential way is profaning it .

"On one area , I am sick and tired of the T.G. i. F . expression . Anyone who uses God's Name in other than a reverential way is profaning it ."

Tim this is actual valid example of vulgarity! The other definition of the word vulgar: common, is not the definition I think that Paul and other's are telling us to steer clear away of. I think that foul, and impure is the better concept of vulgarity, and tells us something about the type of language we must abandon and prohibit.

Agreed Ian . Otherwise the Latin Bible used for the Lord's people for so many centuries would be considered corrupt ... The Vulgate . Impurity in communication is central in understanding the subject of cussing .

You know I just thought of this while typing here . Even secular folks have been aware of the prevalence of cursing in America . I think there is probably a : cussing.com or something like that on the internet recognizing how insidious the problem is . We would say sin , or evil instead of problem .

Col . 3:8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these : anger , rage , malice , slander , and filthy language from your lips .

Eph 5:4 Nor should there be obscenity , foolish talk or coarse joking , which are out of place , but rather thanksgiving .

James 1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue , he deceives himself and his religion is worthless .

James 3:9-11 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father , and with it we curse men , who have been made in God's likeness . Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing . My brothers , this should not be . Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring ?

James 5:12 Above all , my brothers , do not swear -- not by heaven or by earth or by anything else . Let your " Yes " be yes , and your " No " , no , or you will be condemned .

Deut . 5:11 You should not use the Name of the Lord your God profanely ; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who uses His Name profanely .

Psalm 141:3 Set a guard , O Lord , over my mouth ; keep watch over the door of my lips !

Proverbs 4:24 Put away perversity from your mouth ; keep corrupt talk far from your lips .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back