Sing! Global 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Getty’s are very talented, have written lovely songs that churches sing. I would doubt that they’re confessionally Reformed. More along the lines of new Calvinist, I’d think.

I once thought their songs were the best gift to the church since Isaac Watts and other older writers. I now see it somewhat differently; they in effect have equated their songs to the biblical psalms, and probably have raised more barriers to the non-confessional visible church’s studying and understanding the place of psalmody in worship.

The Getty’s are very talented, have written lovely songs that churches sing. I would doubt that they’re confessionally Reformed. More along the lines of new Calvinist, I’d think.
Agreed. I especially like the hymn "Speak O Lord as we come to You".

I have two particular concerns with the conference:
1. They have singers like Bill Gaither there (on their website). Unless there has been a recent change, Bill Gaither is a long way from a confessional Calvinist theology.
2. I believe a Reformation emphasis puts the emphasis on preaching, not singing (not denying though that singing has a valued place in worship, but it is a matter of correct emphasis). In this regard I am reminded of Martyn Lloyd-Jones comment re excess singing that we can become 'drunk on music'.

have seen promotions for the Sing! Global 2020 Getty Worship music conference.

What do you make of this? I assume it will be, in the main, not confessionally Reformed?

I'm not sure what I make of it as prior to last week I was unfamiliar with the conference; however, my church announced they are going to make the simulcast available in the sanctuary for those who would like to come in person and sing praises and listen to the preaching. These days I'm looking for any and every opportunity to gather together with brothers and sisters in Christ and so I'll likely attend at least one night with my family.

A quick glance at the speakers and musicians shows a somewhat broad lineup of guests. It is pretty plain to see that not everyone is confessionally Reformed, which doesn't bother me in the least. I am allergic to the Christian celebrity culture the church has created, but I do appreciate knowing who is going to be there to aid in the discernment process on whether or not it might be edifying for myself and my family.

Here is the description of the event posted to the Getty's FB page yesterday:

"Join us virtually Aug. 30 - Sept. 2 for Sing! Global - an immersive digital conference to encourage and deepen worship. What can you expect at Sing! Global 2020? Sermons from trusted expositors on the wonder and power of the Word of God. Practical talks and interviews on how Scripture informs every aspect of corporate and family worship and fuels evangelism and missions. Over 50 breakout sessions on preaching, prayer, congregational singing, hymn writing, family devotions, apologetics, and the doctrine of the Word. Songs led by musicians committed to doctrinal depth and Christ-exalting hymnody. This event will also showcase the unity of the church as we are led in worship from six continents and will also feature many live musical moments you won't want to miss! Registration includes access to all content for 90 days so you can catch up and go deeper."
If I end up attending a night or two I'll follow-up with some impressions here.

I will avoid it at all costs. Without entering here a discussion on the validity of conferences writ large, and especially on those that are not hosted by a church, which is the only authorized agent for doing God's work on earth, my opinion of the Getty's music is that is is CCM warmed over. In music, style matters as well as content, and their style is modeled after the trappings of the world. Should not the church's music be palpably different than the world's? Deut. 12:30 comes to mind.

Two years ago I took my wife one evening to hear them. Kristen held some music classes the same morning at a local church building, which my little girl enjoyed.

Enjoy some of their stuff. We have three children's CD's by them. One is played ad nauseum in the car.

I believe Joel Beeke spoke at this Sing! conference previously. He spoke on psalm singing, something which the Gettys around that time seemed to be coming to better understand and appreciate.

My favorite of theirs is a rendition of an old missions hymn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back