Well I think this response to his post says it all:
"I'm Not Like You Either: An Apologia to Michael Spencer
When I first started coming here a few months ago, I was impressed by your courage. I was impressed that you spoke the truth about things that concerned me. My study of the Bible over the years has opened my eyes to the vacuousness and inanity within the contemporary evangelical church. Your articles were a breath of fresh air - someone with the guts to say what needed to be said.
But now I feel weird. I feel as though the Michael Spencer I enjoyed reading is not the person I imagined he was. Granted, you are not perfect but neither is anyone here. You are still struggling with your faith - I wouldn't have it any other way.
I suppose my error was that I felt that my adherence to Calvinism was as a result of my study of the Bible. Now you are telling me that my belief system is just another part of the problem. That the poor folk living in Kentucky who don't know the Gospel are somehow worse off because of my adherence to Calvinism. I didn't realise it before, but now I am a legalist - responsible for your Father's depression and rejection from the church. I am apparently part of a wider conspiracy to enforce my views on others and prevent Christians from independent thought (such as reading NT Wright).
Worse... I didn't realise my error of loving theology. I always thought that theology was the study of God that arose from God's inspired word and was always eminently practical and always important. Now I have been told that this is not the case at all. Now I have been told that the study of God is not practical and is certainly not important.
I always felt as though Calvinism and its resurgence would be good for the church. Given the total lack of gospel preaching by Joel Osteen and the heretical rantings of Word-faith preachers, preaching the gospel and believing it to be the power of God for the Salvation of all who believe seemed to be the right thing to do. Preach the word, in season and out of season. Apparently, though, that is incorrect. Why? Because Calvinism just seems to be another meaningless word and division in the church.
So, I'll stop preaching the word. I'll stop preaching the Gospel. I am, unlike you, completely happy and well adjusted. My parents were perfect and did not suffer at all during their lives. The people of Newcastle, Australia - most of whom are poorly educated unbelievers and have heard no Christian message - will just have to wait until Hell.
Moreover, I'll just have to stop visiting those conservative Calvinist think tank websites and stop reading their articles. You know, the ones that lament Biblical ignorance and expose false gospels - well they're all theological and not suited to the good people of Kentucky or Newcastle.
Maybe I'll even change my political colours and stop voting for left-wing parties. Since we Calvinists are all the same politically I suppose everyone else here who are Calvinists (and therefore supporters of left-wing parties) will probably do the same.
Yes - I will change. When someone willingly and lovingly exposes a wrong belief in my life, then God will convict me. I will always change my mind when I am proved wrong."
And this from Michael Spencer:
"I don't think I can explain this, but I believe you can learn more about God in an hour silence than in a year of reading or listening to preaching."
Sorry I guess I'm still a reactionary fundamentalist but this sounds way too mystical for me.
Instead, how about:
Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."
Jeremiah 23:9
"Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?"
Romans 10:17
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
1 Corinthians 1:17-29
"For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence."
1 Peter 1:23,25
"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever... But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you."
James 1:18
"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures"
Belgic Confession, Article 35
"Now those who are regenerated have in them a twofold life, the one corporal and temporal, which they have from the first birth and is common to all men; the other, spiritual and heavenly, which is given them in their second birth, which is effected by the Word of the gospel..."
Heidelberg Catechism
Q65: Since, then, we are made partakers of Christ and all his benefits by faith only, where does this faith come from?
A65: The Holy Ghost works faith in our hearts by the preaching of the Holy Gospel, and confirms it by the use of the holy sacraments.
Q83: What is the Office of the Keys?
A83: The preaching of the Holy Gospel and Christian discipline; by these two the kingdom of heaven is opened to believers and shut against unbelievers.
Canons of Dordrecht, I.3
"And that men may be brought to believe, God mercifully sends the messengers of these most joyful tidings to whom He will and at what time He pleases; by whose ministry men are called to repentance and faith in Christ crucified."
Canons of Dordrecht, V.14
"And as it has pleased God, by the preaching of the gospel, to begin this work of grace in us, so He preserves, continues, and perfects it by the hearing and reading of His Word, by meditation thereon, and by the exhortations, threatenings, and promises thereof, and by the use of the sacraments."
Is it a coincidence that in every revival in the church or history was precipitated by the preaching of the word? (eg. Pentecost; Reformation etc.) And where are all the Protestants who trust in the foolishness of the gospel? In Paul's time there were just as many ways to present a message as there were today (except without the technology). Yet the New Testament scriptures, especially the Book of Acts sees the preaching of the word as being central to the conversion and salvation of the elect., not through an introspective meditation! Yes God can use any method He wants but He wants His church to obey Him because He ordinarily uses the preaching of the word to bring His elect into the church (as per the scripture references above).
[edited for language]
[Edited on 4-15-05 by pastorway]