Some questions about John MacArthur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich, next time Megan and I go to my Mom's I am going to look at her MacArthur Study Bible, and really look at Daniel and Revelation. Like I say , for me as an Anglican he has flown under my radar. What I am getting is this: He is a good teacher/pastor, with flaws in interpretation of end time events. Is that a fair summary of the observations I have picked up here?:detective:

Fair summary. You forgot to mention flaws in his interpretation of Covenant theology and sacramentology. ;)

It sounds like this is a timely thread, since MacArthur has taken on this very topic at the Shepherd's Conference. The fallout should be interesting.

Well I just commented on another thread about this, so I am not trying to pile on Dr. MacArthur, but in my opinion, he is an average preacher.

I think his focus on 1/2 a verse for 1/2 a sermon is a bit over the top. It is fine if you do it every now and again, but he does it consistantly.

As I have noted elsehwere, every opinion he holds is "obvious, it is right there in the Scriptures". This type of arrogance can hurt the gospel in my opinion...

While he is obviously not my personal favorite, I can appreciate much of his work, but I do not care for the way in which he says the things he does

It sounds like this is a timely thread, since MacArthur has taken on this very topic at the Shepherd's Conference. The fallout should be interesting.
Providence!;) I knew nothing of this conference when I began the thread. Given what I have heard........my thread might be a little more lively than I thought! :)

Well I just commented on another thread about this, so I am not trying to pile on Dr. MacArthur, but in my opinion, he is an average preacher.

I think his focus on 1/2 a verse for 1/2 a sermon is a bit over the top. It is fine if you do it every now and again, but he does it consistantly.

As I have noted elsehwere, every opinion he holds is "obvious, it is right there in the Scriptures". This type of arrogance can hurt the gospel in my opinion...

While he is obviously not my personal favorite, I can appreciate much of his work, but I do not care for the way in which he says the things he does

Not to hijack the thread but I just noticed that I've been to your church before. A couple of Sundays about two years ago. We were passing through on our way to WA and stopped in Indiana to visit some friends.:D

Yep, John MacArthur is pretty opinionated, and can come accross as arrogant at times. But I still like alot of what he has to say. :)

As far as the Pre-Mil thing goes been there done that got the T-shirt(the same for Dispensationalism.):)

Yep, John MacArthur is pretty opinionated, and can come accross as arrogant at times. But I still like alot of what he has to say. :)

As far as the Pre-Mil thing goes been there done that got the T-shirt(the same for Dispensationalism.):)

I actually have several t-shirts, and a hat!

Not to hijack the thread but I just noticed that I've been to your church before. A couple of Sundays about two years ago. We were passing through on our way to WA and stopped in Indiana to visit some friends.:D

O ya!? I actually have only been a member of the church for about a year now but it is a great church. I wonder how big it was when you attended... It is up to about 100 or so now but I have not been since I am at school in California right now! Peter Wallace is a great pastor though! I have lover hearing him preach!

O ya!? I actually have only been a member of the church for about a year now but it is a great church. I wonder how big it was when you attended... It is up to about 100 or so now but I have not been since I am at school in California right now! Peter Wallace is a great pastor though! I have lover hearing him preach!
Hey! Wise-Guys, don't be hijacking my thread! I aint playin around!;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

:deadhorse:

Oh... wait... i thought i heard something on this thread. Maybe a second beatdown is neccesary just to cleanse your sins of this so called... hijacking...

:deadhorse:

:D

I'm bored... can you tell :D

Yes MacArthur is a "theological mixed bag". Aptly put. I listen to him on the radio durring my morning drive to work. I disagree with his Progressive Dispensationalism. But otherwise I think his exposition is pretty good.

I don't think MacArthur is in the progressive dispensationalist camp. I think he's a classic (meaning Ryrie, Walvoord) dispensationalist.

MacArthur's dispensationalism is really bare bones. To him ,dispensationalism is simply two facts -- Israel and the Church are distinct and seperate , and there is a future for the nation of Israel.

True. He rejects the 7 dispensations of classic dispensationalism but maintains the distinction between Israel and the Church.

I wondered why he was dropped from WRBS -- Baltimore. His book The Gospel According to Jesus was amazing -- it was what my mother was reading shorlty before she died -- and I believe went home to be with the Lord.

Some real basic biographical info on MacArthur, for the 3 people in North America who might be unaware:D -

Born in Los Angeles in June, 1939; graduated from Talbot Theological Seminary in the middle 1960s (I forget which year); has pastored only one church (Grace Community Church of the Valley in Sun Valley, California) since 1969; is married and has 4 children (2 boys and 2 girls); neither of the boys entered the ministry; he is distantly related to General Douglas MacArthur.

He is also the fifth consecutive generation of pastors in his family (so his 2 sons have broken that string). His dad, Jack MacArthur, died just a few years ago at 91.

I've heard rumors that there were Presbyterians in the family, maybe 2 or 3 generations ago (don't know if it's true).

Interesting trivia: the late James Montgomery Boice was 1 year older than MacArthur (born in 1938) and began his ministry at Tenth Pres 1 year before MacArthur started at Grace (1968).

I wondered why he was dropped from WRBS -- Baltimore. His book The Gospel According to Jesus was amazing -- it was what my mother was reading shorlty before she died -- and I believe went home to be with the Lord.

And even while Peter and John were both still alive, they actually wanted a personal statement/apology from MacArthur before they'd start carrying GTY again along with some other red tape.

Interestingly, enough..... Grace to You is back on WRBS now. Monday through Friday at Noon.

Thank God. :) I was already disappointed in WRBS when they sold Trustworthy Books to that Oneness Pentecostal group in Reisterstown.....

I am generally sick of Christian radio. WRBS has this new "light and encouraging" platform. The addition of GTY is a step in the right direction, but that station has a long way to go. The only other alternative is WAVA. Talk about a mixed bag! But they do carry The White Horse Inn, Renewing your Mind and Grace to You. I think Ravi Zacharias is on there too. I'm learning to download mp3's of my favorite programs and play them while I am out in the field for the day.

I am generally sick of Christian radio. WRBS has this new "light and encouraging" platform. The addition of GTY is a step in the right direction, but that station has a long way to go. The only other alternative is WAVA. Talk about a mixed bag! But they do carry The White Horse Inn, Renewing your Mind and Grace to You. I think Ravi Zacharias is on there too. I'm learning to download mp3's of my favorite programs and play them while I am out in the field for the day.

"Christian" radio
icon_vomit.gif

I think it's called WAVA in DC (is it 105.1). Contains everybody from rank heretics to R.C. Sproul and John MacArthur. A lot of these stations also let snake oil salesmen hawk products.

I bought an iPod when I moved here. Now I only listen to Podcasts during my drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back