Spence vs Crawford Who do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

0isez

Puritan Board Freshman
This Saturday,July 29th is the best boxing match-up of the 21st Century. Earl Spence vs Terrence Crawford. My heart is for Crawford, but my head says Spence. I do not bet on anything so I am not soliciting any sort of gambling, but what a competition! Crawford's ability in exploiting an opponent's weaknesses is on another level but the problem is, there's not much to exploit when up against Spence. Boxing at it's highest level. Vegas odds are dead even. Anyone else want to throw in their opinions?

For some reason I hope Crawford wins but that is entirely subjective feeling informed by a bit of his reputation. I haven't followed boxing that much but only pop in now and then to see what is going on. I don't know anyone getting the fight so I will have to be content with highlights and replays.

I've heard it said that the delight derived from watching boxing is of the same nature as the delight derived by those who took pleasure in smiting the Saviour with blows. Put things into a bit of perspective for me even if boxing involves voluntary participants and got me thinking that the 6th commandment has relevant implications besides any other considerations that make professional sport problematic in general.

Alex - I've noticed you have jumped into recreation topics, whether it is reading of fiction and now sports, to challenge the biblical legitimacy of these activities. Unfortunately, these interruptions derail the threads. It might be more helpful, in my opinion, to start another thread on each of those challenges and let whoever wants to kick around the issue with you there go back and forth and debate you.

I was briefly an amateur boxer as an adult and I could explain my thinking about it to you from a Christian perspective but I don't think this is the proper thread to do it.

Alex - I've noticed you have jumped into recreation topics, whether it is reading of fiction and now sports, to challenge the biblical legitimacy of these activities. Unfortunately, these interruptions derail the threads. It might be more helpful, in my opinion, to start another thread on each of those challenges and let whoever wants to kick around the issue with you there go back and forth and debate you.

I was briefly an amateur boxer as an adult and I could explain my thinking about it to you from a Christian perspective but I don't think this is the proper thread to do it.
Hello Jim, thanks for this. The original post of this thread asked for peoples' opinions to be thrown in, I'm sorry you don't think this is the proper thread to do it. Re what you term "challenges to a debate" you might notice I've chosen not to respond to any replies on some of the comments that you've mentioned in other threads to derail them.. Feel free to PM me or start a new thread if you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't followed boxing much in years. But welterweight is a great weight class. Those guys often have some power as well as speed.

Maybe in retrospect it will be bigger than Pacquiao and Mayweather and a few others. Those names were definitely bigger. But Manny was definitely over the hill too, and also injured, I think. (Maybe Mayweather was getting up there in years too, but his skills didn't seem to decline much.) GGG and Canelo was another big fight, even though Canelo wasn't undefeated. They were trying to build GGG up as the best middleweight since Hagler, but he had a hard time getting fights against top competition. (The same was true of Hagler until the other three "kings" moved up in weight class. OTOH, Hagler didn't usually deliver an early KO the way GGG did either.) Fury and Wilder was big. I think you can say it is the fight of the decade so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back