Spurgeon on Election/Sovereignty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dearly Bought

Puritan Board Junior
I've been sharing the doctrines of grace with a fellow who is a revivalist Arminian but has high esteem for Spurgeon. If you had one sermon/message from Spurgeon to print for this guy, what would it be?
 
This gives Spurgeon's testimony at first, then sorta stirs the pot...:)
A Defense of Calvinism

I've been thinking about that one, but there are one or two small issues that make me wary.
  • Spurgeon's discussion of the salvation of all infants. I'm worried that this might derail the discussion if it comes up and I have to explain that I think Spurgeon went beyond the Biblical data in his assertion.
  • The bit about adding John Wesley to the apostles.
 
I have to make 3 assumptions to even continue. :detective:
1) he probably already believes that all babies go to heaven, until you say otherwise
2) he probably holds Wesley high already and that wouldn't be a stretch for him, until you say otherwise
3) you are focusing on the doctrines of grace, until you say otherwise
I'd like to think that since Spurgeon is focusing on the doctrines of grace, those other issues wouldn't steal it's thunder. It is good that you can or should address those issues if they arise, but those won't go against the grain for him. I think it is safe to say that if I liked Spurgeon and was an arminian, those issues wouldn't even come to mind after reading or listening to it. If your friend grasps doctrines of grace and only has questions about all babies going to heaven and Wesley would've been an apostle, then consider yourself blessed. However, I'll let my assumptions stand until you say otherwise.

In response to the two points that make Bryan wary, which are stated, I was trying to imply that those are secondary in this context, and confirm that the doctrines of grace is the raming rod, so to speak.
 
Last edited:
Spurgeon's discussion of the salvation of all infants. I'm worried that this might derail the discussion if it comes up and I have to explain that I think Spurgeon went beyond the Biblical data in his assertion.

Spurgeon had good company in this belief, e.g., Hodge and Warfield. I don't think they felt comfortable with an agnostic stance on this matter and I don't think their answer to the question was based on sentimentalism.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top