Study on the Attributes of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Our congregation is starting up a study on the attributes of God. Instead of reinventing the wheel I was wondering if anyone has a link to online material or something you have written I could use as an outline? Thank you.

My first thought is Louis Berkhof's "Manual of Christian Doctrine." I'd look at three sections: (1) the essential nature of God, (2) the names of God and (3) the attributes of God. Succinct comments in outline form with Scripture references. Don't know that you can read it online, though. Do you happen to have it on your shelf, or know someone who might?

-----Added 11/5/2009 at 06:53:03 EST-----

Okay, an update. I found a link to Berkhof's "Summary of Christian Doctrine" (less detailed than the "Manual" but essentially the same material) at Monergism. As a bonus, there are links to Pink and others on the same page:
Monergism :: God’s Attributes

AW Pink's book?

:ditto: Chapel Library has it online as well as a very inexpensive paperpack if you want some for the group. They will send it to you for free but suggest a donation of $2.51 per copy if you can afford it. If not, they will still send you a bunch for free.

Here is the link for it online

There isn't anything better, in my opinion, than Stephen Charnock's "The Existence and Attributes of God." I don't know if it's online or not, but it's the best there is.

My first thought is Louis Berkhof's "Manual of Christian Doctrine." I'd look at three sections: (1) the essential nature of God, (2) the names of God and (3) the attributes of God. Succinct comments in outline form with Scripture references. Don't know that you can read it online, though. Do you happen to have it on your shelf, or know someone who might?

-----Added 11/5/2009 at 06:53:03 EST-----

Okay, an update. I found a link to Berkhof's "Summary of Christian Doctrine" (less detailed than the "Manual" but essentially the same material) at Monergism. As a bonus, there are links to Pink and others on the same page:
Monergism :: God’s Attributes

I second Jack`s recommendation. I own it and it is very useful. The 2nd edition is laid out very nice for study groups

Thank you for the recommendations but I already possess most of the books that were mentioned. I had hoped that someone had access to an outline so I wouldn't have to do a lot of work at the outset.

Perhaps I am just being lazy?

Thank you for the recommendations but I already possess most of the books that were mentioned. I had hoped that someone had access to an outline so I wouldn't have to do a lot of work at the outset.

Perhaps I am just being lazy?

Pink's is pretty much an outline in and of itself. Are you looking for something in the form of a catechism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back