Substitutionary Atonement

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellville

Puritan Board Junior
I have a friend who doesn't believe in the substitutionary atonement of Christ (however, he seems open to it). So, I have some basic questions:

1. What are the best books on the topic?
2. What is the best way to present the substitutionary atonement?
3. Which Biblical passages would you go too first as foundational?

Also, I've made this observation. It seems that the only people who believe in substitutionary atonement are those who hold to an infallible scripture. Anybody who doesn't seems to adopt some other form of atonement. Would this be an accurate observation on the whole?

[Edited on 4-8-2006 by tellville]

avatarflying30ri.gif

Mark Maney
Edmonton Chinese Baptist Church (CCSB - Canadian Convention of Southern Baptists)
BA Religion & Theology - Taylor Univeristy College (Apr 2006)
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada


edited by admin for signature

[Edited on 4-8-2006 by Scott Bushey]
 
I'm not sure what I am missing???

Name and Title Check Check
Ministry Position (if you are an elder or pastor) N/A
Name of Home Church (include denomination or affiliation) you are a member of or serve in Check
Home City and State check
 
Your signature wasn't appearing for some reason on the first post of this thread....
 
George Smeaton has a two volume set on the Atonement. Very thorough.

Vol. 1 Christ's doctrine of the atonement.
Vol. 2 The Apostles doctrine of the atonement.

Banner of truth I think still publishes them.
 
Always start with Scripture when going over a doctrine. When they see your starting point, then they may be more open to the logic of it.

I like Isaiah 53

Have your friend read that.

If he still doesn't understand the importance, then show him this Scripture:
1 John 4:9-10
9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins

To even know what love is...to truly know it...you must know God's love: which was not merely demonstrated through a "loving sacrifice" of niceness...rather, an atoning sacrifice. It accomplished something in place of what you or I have done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top