Super Bowl Tradition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do NOT plan to watch the Superbowl this year.

Rather, I will probably make it a point to read from Isaiah 58 this coming Sunday:

"œ If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the LORD honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,

Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the LORD has spoken."

(Isaiah 58:13-14)

I deleted my original post. What seemed funny when I wrote it lost its humor in light of Isaiah 58:13.

Thanks, Joe.

Bob

I missed it last two years I believe... maybe three... I don't remember watching in 05 or in the infamous '04 one. I just haven't watched much NFL in last few years, not since undergrad and before fall 2002.

NFL games used to be on Saturday until the 1950's, I believe. I can think of better things to do on the day our Savior came out the tomb than NFL games. :)

Originally posted by biblelighthouse
I REALLY wish they'd move the Super Bowl to Monday Night Football!

That would be GREAT!

It's never gonna happen though. :(

I wish they'd do that for all football - well, all Bengals games anyway! :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Me Died Blue

That would be GREAT!

I wish they'd do that for all football - well, all [edit: Redskins] games anyway! :bigsmile:

:ditto::D

That would be GREAT!

I'd watch it just as much as I do college football on saturday..NOT!

Now when they get the ACC yachts out again, I might even get cable or a dish! (Hey Bush! Now that is solar power!)

Joseph said:
"I REALLY wish they'd move the Super Bowl to Monday Night Football!

That would be GREAT!"

Does it concern anyone here that football is an extremely violent sport cheered on by scantily-clad cheerleaders?

Through the years, there have been many articles that discuss the permanent injuries and shortened lifespans suffered by NFL players.

In also encourages couch-potato behavior and idolatry.

But if TV sports provides you with pleasure, what can I say?

Originally posted by Henry from Canada
Joseph said:
"I REALLY wish they'd move the Super Bowl to Monday Night Football!

That would be GREAT!"

Does it concern anyone here that football is an extremely violent sport cheered on by scantily-clad cheerleaders?

Through the years, there have been many articles that discuss the permanent injuries and shortened lifespans suffered by NFL players.

In also encourages couch-potato behavior and idolatry.

But if TV sports provides you with pleasure, what can I say?

Do you enjoy watching any sports at all?

I have just gone without TV for 3 years.

Even now, I only watch 2 hours tops per week. I really like Jeopardy.

The older I get, the more I get concerned about the violence in many sports, and the more I see TV sports as an inane waste of time.

If you want to watch the Super Bowl, then all I can say is I hope you enjoy yourself.

Many Americans work very very hard to make a living. If they want to relax by watching football on Sunday, I will not judge them. How can I?

However, I have seen a disturbing trend my whole life.

I have seen Evangelical Christians continually criticize "the world" my whole life.

They criticize Britney Spears, yet watch her on TV.

They criticize violence and immodest dress on TV, yet watch both on Sunday afternoon football games.

They criticize "immoral talk" on TV, yet watch sitcoms like Seinfeld that discuss and glorify fornication.

Hey, I've watched Seinfeld years ago. I used to watch football in the 70s.

I've seen pictures of Britney Spears. She's beautiful and has a nice voice.

However, I try not to criticize "the world" for sins I partake in. It sorta makes me look like a hypocrite.

I admit it. There are aspects of "the world" that really appeal to me. I seldom hear other Christians admit this. Over and over, I hear other Christians criticizing "the world."

I will not be watching the Super Bowl.

You work hard all week. Enjoy the game. I will not judge you.

My prayer:
------------
Lord, it is easy to see the sins in others. Please help me see the sins within myself.

Oh Bob, that last post was not directed at you personally.

I was just trying to illustrate why many Christians should be careful as to how to spend their Sunday afternoons.

Whatever you do, have a great weekend!

Originally posted by Henry from Canada
I have just gone without TV for 3 years.

. . . .

I will not be watching the Super Bowl.

You work hard all week. Enjoy the game. I will not judge you.

My prayer:
------------
Lord, it is easy to see the sins in others. Please help me see the sins within myself.

Henry, I sympathize with you, but even among Christians there is a variety of responses.

I quit watching TV in 1975. Literally and virtually completely. I've seen perhaps 125 minutes of TV total since then. But I was not a Christian at that time. I just hated the zombie effect and treated it like heroin.

So I can't understand my brothers' and sisters' desire to watch TV. But one thing I know, they are my brothers and sisters. They probably don't understand how I can spend 5 or 6 hours a day in the evening working on telescopes or making machines. We redeem the time as we are directed, and I can't publicly denounce the liberty of others.

As for the violence, I played football in High School and a little in College. My knees, shoulder, and neck suffer from it. But I loved it. I don't think it is impious at all to enjoy a good crunch. I find watching it to be boring, but I sure loved the action. It kept me out of drugs and sloth.

BTW, I did see the Super Bowl in 1969. Namath was my hero, even if he did shave his legs.

Nevertheless, I think you and I have a lot in common. Let it rest, my brother.

Vic

A local Pizza place in my area has a sign on their door that reads:

"Closed Sunday due to the observance of a religious holiday. Go Steelers!"

They're opened every Sunday except the "holy" Super Bowl Sunday. :banghead:

It comes on here on Monday at 0830. We got the day off to watch it. I don't know if I'll bother though.

Originally posted by Scot

I will be watching, but that's just horrible!

There has been so much debate of the Super Bowl on this board that I am now tempted to watch.

I have not seen a complete football game since the Steelers beat the LA Rams in the Super Bowl a few years ago.

Is Terry Bradshaw still playing? How about Franco Harris? Mean Joe Greene?

What ever became of Ken Stabler?

Are you serious? All of those guys are in their 50's at least! Bradshaw will be one of the hosts on the FOX pregame show. Lynn Swan is running for Governor of Pennsylvania.

Adam asked:
"Are you serious? All of those guys are in their 50's at least! Bradshaw will be one of the hosts on the FOX pregame show. Lynn Swan is running for Governor of Pennsylvania."

No I'm just joking. That great Steelers team of the '70s was basically washed up in the early '80s. Football players don't last long - especially in today's hyper-competitive environment.

Baseball players and hockey players can go 20 years.

Interestingly enough, I really don't enjoy watching sports on TV. I find it really boring.

What fascinates me about sports, however, are the science aspects.

For instance, what precisely goes wrong when a player goes "over the hill."

For example, Muhammed Ali was a dominant fighter until early 1976. His last great fight was the Trilla in Manilla in the fall of 1975.

By the fall of 1976, against Ken Norton, he did not seem to be able to throw those combinations nearly as effectively.

By 1978, he was mostly reduced to left jabs.

Baseball players face the same issue. For 20 or so years, Hank Aaron consistently batted .300 and got 30+ homers almost every year. Then in 1974, his production dramatically fell.

What went wrong so suddenly? This has happened to countless injury-free athletes.

Part of the reason this fascinates me so much is that a lot of this may involve proprioceptive functioning. The ability to sense your own body's movement. This is a huge issue for people like me that have a mobility disability.

Predictions:
-------------
Modern science may be on the verge of a breakthrough in understanding genetics.

In 20 years, there may be no genetic illnesses left.

In 20 years, everyone may have a diet tailored to match their genetic weaknesses.

In 20 years, there may be no more Olympics. The advent of genetic engineering may make records obsolete and irrelevant. It will all just be a battle between genetic doctors.

Sorry for straying far off-topic.

I'm waiting for spring training. Been a St. Louis Cardinal fan since the latter days of Stan Musial.

I enjoy baseball.

Go GreenBay... Woo Hoo....

AAGL097.jpg

Am I out of the loop or what?

[Edited on 2-5-2006 by puritancovenanter]

Originally posted by Scot

But to those who worship before the odd shaped ball, Super Bowl Sunday is the high holy day of the year.

Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
NFL games used to be on Saturday until the 1950's, I believe. I can think of better things to do on the day our Savior came out the tomb than NFL games. :)

It's interesting that even when they changed from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian one they never missed a day of the week.

The following was from here

The Julian calendar was in general use in Europe from the times of the Roman Empire until 1582, when Pope Gregory XIII promulgated the Gregorian Calendar, which was soon adopted by most Catholic countries. The Protestant countries followed later, and the countries of Eastern Europe even later. Great Britain had Thursday 14 September 1752 follow Wednesday 2 September 1752. Sweden adopted the new style calendar in 1753, but also for a twelve-year period starting in 1700 used a modified Julian Calendar. Russia remained on the Julian calendar until after the Russian Revolution (which is thus called the 'October Revolution' but occurred in November according to the Gregorian calendar), in 1917, while Greece continued to use it until 1923.

I wonder, though, is Reformation Day based on the the new calendar or the old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back