Superstition and the 2nd commandment

Status
Not open for further replies.

non dignus

Puritan Board Sophomore
What is the letter and the spirit of idolatry?

In light of 1 Cor 8, is it OK for a Christian to have Hawaiian tiki gods in his very Hawaiian themed yard? What about keeping pictures or statues around the house of Bhudda, Hindu dieties etc?

WLC Question 109: What are the sins forbidden in the second commandment?

Answer: The sins forbidden in the second commandment are, all devising, counseling, commanding, using, and anywise approving, any religious worship not instituted by God himself; tolerating a false religion; the making any representation of God, of all or of any of the three persons, either inwardly in our mind, or outwardly in any kind of image or likeness of any creature: Whatsoever; all worshipping of it, or God in it or by it; the making of any representation of feigned deities, and all worship of them, or service belonging to them; all superstitious devices, corrupting the worship of God, adding to it, or taking from it, whether invented and taken up of ourselves, or received by tradition from others, though under the title of antiquity, custom, devotion, good intent, or any other pretense: Whatsoever; simony; sacrilege; all neglect, contempt, hindering, and opposing the worship and ordinances which God has appointed.

WLC Question 109: What are the sins forbidden in the second commandment?

Answer: The sins forbidden in the second commandment are, all devising, counseling, commanding, using, and anywise approving, any religious worship not instituted by God himself; tolerating a false religion; the making any representation of God, of all or of any of the three persons, either inwardly in our mind, or outwardly in any kind of image or likeness of any creature: Whatsoever; all worshipping of it, or God in it or by it; the making of any representation of feigned deities, and all worship of them, or service belonging to them; all superstitious devices, corrupting the worship of God, adding to it, or taking from it, whether invented and taken up of ourselves, or received by tradition from others, though under the title of antiquity, custom, devotion, good intent, or any other pretense: Whatsoever; simony; sacrilege; all neglect, contempt, hindering, and opposing the worship and ordinances which God has appointed.

Hi Greg,
Amen. As long as these objects are not used superstitiously they may be retained as peculiarities and decorations. Is that correct? Or is the term Christian Archeologist an oxymoron?

Is this a round about way of bringing up Christmas trees, too?....

Trevor,
I think the traditional annual Christmas tree thread is concluded!

Let's find out why there is such a difference of opinion. Is the law unclear? Idolatry is very serious. If I'm too cavalier about the 2nd commandment and graven images I want to repent.

Hi Greg,
Amen. As long as these objects are not used superstitiously they may be retained as peculiarities and decorations. Is that correct? Or is the term Christian Archeologist an oxymoron?

David...I wouldn't have those things in my house or yard. I have a brother who is not a believer and he's really into all the tiki stuff. I think a person could have a Hawaiian-themed yard without the statues. I understand that you wouldn't be worshipping those objects, but a general rule of thumb is if you feel uncomfortable and need to ask about it, you probably shouldn't do it. I do think that it would give an appearance to neighbors and friends of at least being contradictory to your faith by having idols in your home or yard. :2cents:

David...I wouldn't have those things in my house or yard. I have a brother who is not a believer and he's really into all the tiki stuff. I think a person could have a Hawaiian-themed yard without the statues. I understand that you wouldn't be worshipping those objects, but a general rule of thumb is if you feel uncomfortable and need to ask about it, you probably shouldn't do it. I do think that it would give an appearance to neighbors and friends of at least being contradictory to your faith by having idols in your home or yard. :2cents:

True.
The pulse of my original assertion was that the kingdom of God has rolled back outward forms of idolatry, at least in the western world where graven images are anachronistic. In an American context these things are nothing more than artifacts from another culture. However, I live in Southern California where increasingly I see little Buddist shrines in local business establishments. Your point is well taken.

I succumb to enough idolatry in my heart without having to worry about the river god wood carving I inherited. Should I get rid of it? Maybe. But I shouldn't because of the idea that it's inherently evil. That would be superstitious. (I'm not charging you with this error)

I will continue to reflect on Paul's words in 1 Cor 8 that an idol is nothing in this world, and try to avoid the error of the Taliban who dynamited ancient Bhudda images in Afghanistan.

With His help I will continue to love Him not in the oldness of the letter but in the newness of the spirit with all love, which might include holding tangible evidence of humanity's sins against Him; for teaching aids, history lessons, or as testimonials to our depravity and His mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back