Tattoos and Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew P.C.

Puritan Board Junior
Are tattoos unbiblical? Displeasing to God? How about Cigarette smoking?

Since I've been raised in a SBC church, I was always taught these are sinful. Any thoughts?
 
Are tattoos unbiblical? Displeasing to God? How about Cigarette smoking?

Since I've been raised in a SBC church, I was always taught these are sinful. Any thoughts?
I'm sure you know why nobody's responded to your post yet,? They're outside taking a cigarette break. They should be back soon.
 
[This is only an opinion. In the event of true theologizing, actual literate theology would follow this warning!]

In my humble opinion, tattooing probably had pagan origins, and at that time was against the Law of God, like cutting oneself for the dead, etc. However, for most people nowadays, it's a form of decoration only. One would have to decide if it were wise, i.e. if you'd be embarrased by it someday or if it would negatively impact your career; if not, why not?

As for smoking, I'm sure that's a matter of one's individual health and tastes.

[This was only an opinion.No theology was actually taking place.]
 
I posted a blog on the subjects of tattoos (where I argue that it is permissible). There was also a lengthy discussion that folowed.

Triablogue: Getting Inked

Smoking may be acceptable in moderation. But I think chain smoking (or, heavy smoking) is a violation of the 6th commandment.
 
I question of the wisdom of participating in either activity. I have no interest in either one and I find them replusive.

My frank opinion.
 
I would consider both sinful as the tatooing is a form of mutilation of the body and smoking is certainly damaging to the body. Our body is the temple of God and should be treated with honor and care, promoting health and well being. ' Whatsoever you do in word or deed, do all to the glory of God!' Neither of those bring glory to Him!
 
I don't care for tatoos personally, but don't necessarily have a problem with someone else doing so. As far as smokes, one should not be mastered by anything. I, myself, like Pipe Tobacco, some cigars, and the aroma of Winston cigarettes.

So, would you say that cigarette smoking is ok *in moderation* ?
 
I don't care for tatoos personally, but don't necessarily have a problem with someone else doing so. As far as smokes, one should not be mastered by anything. I, myself, like Pipe Tobacco, some cigars, and the aroma of Winston cigarettes.

So, would you say that cigarette smoking is ok *in moderation* ?

The problem goes like this. There is no blanket statement. I wouldn't say it's ok for everyone without exception to smoke cigarettes, even in moderation. But I also wouldn't say that it's sinful for all people without exception to do so.

An excellent series I thought, concerning matters such as the aforementioned was a podcast put out by Saints and Sinners titled "Bet, Drink, Smoke, and Chew and Run With Girls That Do" (or something similar). They deal with all of these things in a bit of detail.

Yeah, I've heard the entire series. The problem though is that many people have mixed feelings about this. I don't see anything wrong with smoking a cigarette if done in moderation. The only way I can see this as becoming sinful is if you don't have control over your cigarette smoking.

But, what about other people in your congregation? What if they view it as sinful? Should you quit? If so, would this apply to wearing clothes? Driving a motorcycle? Choice of Car? Beverage?
 
Body "mutilation" is not necessarily sinful as God required circumcision. Nose rings seem to be held up as beautiful (Gen. 24:47, Eze. 16:12).

The "body is a temple" is in the context of sexual immorality. It has nothing to do with taking care of your body.

I believe both activities are permissible, although tobacco is properly consumed in a pipe made of briar or meerschaum.
 
It definitely speaks of conforming to the world, not being separate or different and being willing to do all for the glory of God. Seems to me to be a very liberal stance!
 
What about things like fried chicken, burgers, ice cream and soda in moderation - does consumption of those constitute "taking care of the body"?
 
(Lev 19:28) Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.


Well it is there so let's deal with this passage and maybe a few around it.

JFB
Lev 19:28 - Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead--The practice of making deep gashes on the face and arms and legs, in time of bereavement, was universal among the heathen, and it was deemed a becoming mark of respect for the dead, as well as a sort of propitiatory offering to the deities who presided over death and the grave. The Jews learned this custom in Egypt, and though weaned from it, relapsed in a later and degenerate age into this old superstition (Isa_15:2; Jer_16:6; Jer_41:5).

nor print any marks upon you--by tattooing, imprinting figures of flowers, leaves, stars, and other fanciful devices on various parts of their person. The impression was made sometimes by means of a hot iron, sometimes by ink or paint, as is done by the Arab females of the present day and the different castes of the Hindus. It is probable that a strong propensity to adopt such marks in honor of some idol gave occasion to the prohibition in this verse; and they were wisely forbidden, for they were signs of apostasy; and, when once made, they were insuperable obstacles to a return. (See allusions to the practice, Isa_44:5; Rev_13:17; Rev_14:1).
 
Tatooing does seem to be ruled out by Lev. 19:28 (though I am aware there is an argument against this).:2cents:

Smoking, if this can be done in moderation then it is your Christian liberty to do so. Others may not like what you are doing, but if they cannot prove its sinful from Scripture (either by explicit statement or valid logical deduction) they have to be mature enough not to dispute with you over "doubtful things" (Rom. 14:1), though be careful not to indulge in such a liberty in a way that would offend a weaker brother.

:detective: :machen:
 
(Lev 19:28) Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.


Well it is there so let's deal with this passage and maybe a few around it.

JFB
Lev 19:28 - Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead--The practice of making deep gashes on the face and arms and legs, in time of bereavement, was universal among the heathen, and it was deemed a becoming mark of respect for the dead, as well as a sort of propitiatory offering to the deities who presided over death and the grave. The Jews learned this custom in Egypt, and though weaned from it, relapsed in a later and degenerate age into this old superstition (Isa_15:2; Jer_16:6; Jer_41:5).

nor print any marks upon you--by tattooing, imprinting figures of flowers, leaves, stars, and other fanciful devices on various parts of their person. The impression was made sometimes by means of a hot iron, sometimes by ink or paint, as is done by the Arab females of the present day and the different castes of the Hindus. It is probable that a strong propensity to adopt such marks in honor of some idol gave occasion to the prohibition in this verse; and they were wisely forbidden, for they were signs of apostasy; and, when once made, they were insuperable obstacles to a return. (See allusions to the practice, Isa_44:5; Rev_13:17; Rev_14:1).

I deal with it in my post above.

Also, so does (baptist) Gene Bridges in the comment section of my post.

In fact, all the arguments expressed above are dealt with in my post.

They are shown to be subject to serious reductio ad absurdems, or just based on flat-out bad reasoning.

So, the "anti" views boil down to merely opinion. At this level, you're allowed to hold that opinion, but not to Lord it over others and charge anyone with committing an objectively sinful act. To the extent that comments here do not take into account the argumention made in my post (and by my fellow commenters), they can be dismissed as an example of "don't bother me with the facts, my mind is made up."
 
Are tattoos unbiblical? Displeasing to God? . . . Any thoughts?

The motive for getting a tattoo is to imitate current fashions of the world. It is also a returning to pagan practices of doing to our bodies what WE want. So yes tattoos are unbiblical and displeasing to God.




.
 
Isn't it the job of the person claiming an activity is sinful to demonstrate from the Scriptures how it is sinful? Arguing a negative has its problems. Seems to me that everything is permissible unless demonstrated from the Scriptures otherwise. (I Cor 10.23). Of course, in line with what Paul says, every activity becomes sinful if it usurps the rightful place of God in the life of the believer.
 
I can't really vote because good or bad I have already done both.

All I know is it is a great title for a country song.
 
Are tattoos unbiblical? Displeasing to God? . . . Any thoughts?

The motive for getting a tattoo is to imitate current fashions of the world. It is also a returning to pagan practices of doing to our bodies what WE want. So yes tattoos are unbiblical and displeasing to God.

One of the current fashion trends for men is wearing pants and a shirt, which happens to be what I'm wearing now. Am I following the world?

And what's wrong with doing what I want to do?
 
Do you also consider it acceptable to expose ample cleaveage, fore and aft? I consider it very offensive and displeasing to the Lord, yet from what you say you might think it to concern no one but yourself, is that right?
 
A woman was sunbathing on the beaches of Southern California; a man walked up next to her smoking a cig...she looked up to him, "Sir, you go to my church. How can you call yourself "Christian" and smoke what can give your temple cancer?

The man smirked as he said, "Woman, I know you...I am wondering, if you allow me to borrow from your logic...how you can seek a tan in the hot sun when you know that you are subjecting yourself to skin cancer upon the temple of the Holy Spirit?"

A woman was eating a colon cancer causing peice of meat, and up walked a man pouring aspertame into his iced tea....
 
For those who consider tattooing a sin (I have none at this time), what of the crosses tattooed on people? Is a cross not glorifying God?
 
Sooo, what I'm hearing on this board is that 'anything goes' and there are no boundaries to be drawn socially regarding dress, behavior or mutilation of the body, is this correct? No limits!

I believe if you dont stand firm for something, you will soon fall for anything. Is this rigid thinking? It seems I hear that to follow the trend of the world is a good thing, to fit into the societal mode and not be a squeaky wheel. Dont stand out like a sore thumb. Dont mention that there must be discernment in all things, including what we read, how we dress, where we go, what we eat and in everything we do. Is this what is considered the christian thinking of today? I'd really like to know. Please advise.
 
Sooo, what I'm hearing on this board is that 'anything goes' and there are no boundaries to be drawn socially regarding dress, behavior or mutilation of the body, is this correct? No limits!

I don't think anyone has said this. Some are just saying that "doing what the 'world' is doing" is not necessarily sinful. Several people have used that line as a standalone reason for why something is wrong, which is an example of overly-simplistic and outright silly reasoning. There are tons of things the "world" does which we can also do. It only sounds pious to those who don't think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top