Ploutos
Puritan Board Graduate
Sometimes, there's just one recording of a piece; if you've experienced this, then you know what I'm talking about. Dozens of orchestras have performed Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony, but I would argue nobody does so more compellingly than a fellow Russian from the Cold War era, as Mravinsky does in this recording. You can find a 2024 remastering of it on YouTube, but I think it loses something when compared to the feel of the old and somewhat scratchy 1960 original. (Nonetheless, if you must...)
The brass is closely mic'd on this recording, the trombones especially so (paging @Alan D. Strange!), which is appropriate, since the first movement of this symphony contains probably the single greatest trombone note in the symphonic literature.
The symphony lives up to its title, and Tchaikovsky's mysterious death shortly after its completion has sparked all sorts of conspiracy theories. At any rate, it lives up to its name, moreso in this recording than any other I've come across. I would be hard-pressed to think of a work of art, literature, or theatre poignant or tragic enough to be worthy of this piece.
The whole symphony is great, but the first movement is by far the best, so if you don't want to listen to Tchaikovsky for 45 minutes, 18 minutes will do just fine.
The brass is closely mic'd on this recording, the trombones especially so (paging @Alan D. Strange!), which is appropriate, since the first movement of this symphony contains probably the single greatest trombone note in the symphonic literature.
The symphony lives up to its title, and Tchaikovsky's mysterious death shortly after its completion has sparked all sorts of conspiracy theories. At any rate, it lives up to its name, moreso in this recording than any other I've come across. I would be hard-pressed to think of a work of art, literature, or theatre poignant or tragic enough to be worthy of this piece.
The whole symphony is great, but the first movement is by far the best, so if you don't want to listen to Tchaikovsky for 45 minutes, 18 minutes will do just fine.