Temple vs. the tabernacle

• Thread starter Deleted member 11889
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11889

Random question from my evening Bible reading (I'm currently in 1 Kings in the OT).

Israel was specifically commanded to build the tabernacle, and the pattern and design of it was given to Moses straight from the mouth of God himself.

I can't find anywhere that God commanded Israel to build a temple; David initiated the suggestion and I don't see any indication of direct divine input on the design of it.

Is it reading too much into things to wonder if there are any implications to this?

My guess is that the business end of the temple was modelled after the tabernacle, and contained the same furniture: essentially an immovable tabernacle. The outside of the tabernacle was pretty plain--mostly a tent covered in badger's skins, if I remember correctly.
It was the inside that mattered.

"All this he made clear to me in writing from the hand of the LORD, all the work to be done according to the plan." (1 Chr. 28:19 ESV)

Random question from my evening Bible reading (I'm currently in 1 Kings in the OT).

Israel was specifically commanded to build the tabernacle, and the pattern and design of it was given to Moses straight from the mouth of God himself.

I can't find anywhere that God commanded Israel to build a temple; David initiated the suggestion and I don't see any indication of direct divine input on the design of it.

Is it reading too much into things to wonder if there are any implications to this?
Have you considered 1 Chronicles 28:11 and following?

My guess is that the business end of the temple was modelled after the tabernacle, and contained the same furniture: essentially an immovable tabernacle. The outside of the tabernacle was pretty plain--mostly a tent covered in badger's skins, if I remember correctly.
It was the inside that mattered.
Most likely not badger's skins (pace KJV); there aren't any badgers of the English kind in Egypt or the Sinai. The word is very unusual and commentators are all over the map on it (dolphins, manatees, etc); There is an akkadian cognate that describes fine leather dyed the color of a dushu stone (yellow-orange) which seems to me the most likely understanding.

Most likely not badger's skins (pace KJV); there aren't any badgers of the English kind in Egypt or the Sinai. The word is very unusual and commentators are all over the map on it (dolphins, manatees, etc); There is an akkadian cognate that describes fine leather dyed the color of a dushu stone (yellow-orange) which seems to me the most likely understanding.
I figured it wasn't badgers like we know them, just like many animals in the KJV seem to be the translators doing their best guess with what they knew. But if commentators are all over the place, then "badgers" is as good a one as any, I reckon.
Still and all--a pretty plain exterior appearance, especially if it's yellow-orange in the yellowish, reddish, brownish wilderness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back